Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 PM

164 posts, read 458,378 times

Advertisements

Wanted to put the word out to all of you about a google internet scam. There was something on a web site about google corp. looking for at home workers to put links on their site. It was very realistic ..It had the google CEO on there, along with As seen on CNN, New York times etc. There was a form to fill out to send $1.99 postage for mailing the package in how to get started… I am sharing I am one of their victims. They took much more than that. I spent a while at the bank today changing our bank info. What a headache! Thankfully, we can get our money back, but it will take a while. The charge was from “XM-HEALTH-BEAUTY” Google has nothing to do with it.. the scammers are that good.. can’t believe Google is not aware of it, and if they are, nothing was done about it as of yet.
I called the FBI internet scam department and I filled out an on line form with all the info. I had. Lets hope they can trace these thieves … the agent I spoke with told me most of these scams are coming from India and surrounding countries so it wasn’t easy to locate them. He also shared the number of internet scams are on the rise … I am so mad at myself for fallen victim to these people, this is something I never did before, it just looked legit and I figured “hey, I am a stay at home mom, this looks pretty good for some pocket money and something to do a few hours a day”

Please to all of you, do not trust any thing on the net, I learned the hard way and do not want to see anyone else get hurt. If this post can save someone else from making the same mistake I did, It would make me so happy. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:31 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Default I am moving this for you.

Thank you for this warning, amity. This is a post that would fit right into the INTERNET forum & I will be moving it there.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-01-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
A work-from-home scheme that required you to give someone your bank account number? And it seemed legit? Really?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:41 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
A work-from-home scheme that required you to give someone your bank account number? And it seemed legit? Really?
I'd have to agree, this is no different than all the other scams out there, I'm sorry that you got taken, but (and please don't take this personally) a dose of common sense would have prevented this unfortunate incident.

Even if Google were aware of it, which they likely are, there isn't a thing they can do about it.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM

No, They didn't ask for my bank account number. I do not use credit cards.. my debit is also a Visa... I am far from naive and do not lack common sense, never did this before..seemed legit. My mistake. I didn't post this to get a lecture, I know I screwed up... just wanted to make others aware. It aired on CNN this morning as they were also on the site as a sponsor along with New York times etc... hopefully, many saw it.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Sorry to come off like a jerk. Just about every work-from-home opportunity I've ever seen is a scam, even if it does end up paying something. Many of these scams require you to send them money for more information, or something like that. And think about it - why would google need to send you information in the mail, when there's this thing called the internet where they have websites and email that can take care of all that.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:15 PM

[ And think about it - why would google need to send you information in the mail, when there's this thing called the internet where they have websites and email that can take care of all that.[/quote]

you are absolutely 100% right. Stupid me in the 'moment' did not even think of that. It wasn't that you had to "pay" to work at home per say, it was asking for $1.99 for postage to send you the forms and an intro packet kind of thing. Once they got the card number, they helped themselves.

I never do anything on the internet, nor have I ever looked for a work at home on there either. This was so realistic it really fooled me. They were saying on CNN that it was very clever and realistic.. it spread world wide... there are so many internet scams but you do not hear it that often on a news broad cast unless it is big, which obviously this one was as it scammed so many people... so thats it for me looking to work at home again..I'll let my husband be the sole bread winner...

Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitygirl View Post
I never do anything on the internet, nor have I ever looked for a work at home on there either. This was so realistic it really fooled me.
And from what I've seen it's only going to get worse. I don't think there's any way you can be 100% safe. My ATM number was used 6 states away one night while I was asleep, absolutely no way to figure out how they got it. I caught it only because I watch my accounts like a hawk, the thieves made off with a cool $1.12

Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitygirl View Post
[ And think about it - why would google need to send you information in the mail, when there's this thing called the internet where they have websites and email that can take care of all that.

you are absolutely 100% right. Stupid me in the 'moment' did not even think of that. It wasn't that you had to "pay" to work at home per say, it was asking for $1.99 for postage to send you the forms and an intro packet kind of thing. Once they got the card number, they helped themselves.

I never do anything on the internet, nor have I ever looked for a work at home on there either. This was so realistic it really fooled me. They were saying on CNN that it was very clever and realistic.. it spread world wide... there are so many internet scams but you do not hear it that often on a news broad cast unless it is big, which obviously this one was as it scammed so many people... so thats it for me looking to work at home again..I'll let my husband be the sole bread winner...
The work-from-home scams are the worst because they target a lot of people who are out of work and desperate for a way to make money. I'm glad to hear you didn't lose too much.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
And from what I've seen it's only going to get worse. I don't think there's any way you can be 100% safe. My ATM number was used 6 states away one night while I was asleep, absolutely no way to figure out how they got it. I caught it only because I watch my accounts like a hawk, the thieves made off with a cool $1.12
It is getting much worse for sure. The FBI cyber division told me they are over loaded with internet scams .

This day and age you really do have to check your accounts daily, good thing you were on top of yours, it could of been much worse. It's a crazy world .. it's not only on the internet that people get scammed, it can be anywhere..scary, isn't it?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet