Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:16 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I started having all kinds of problems with Firefox.......... so I switched to Chrome. Firefox is dead to me.
No offense, none at all, directed towards you or anyone specifically... but, it buggers me to no end when someone complains about an issue - yet does not mention at all any of the other pertinent and important factors. No, I am not a Firefox fanboy... just someone that uses it [along with Safari, IE, Opera, etc on occasion too] and has for many years, w/ Windows XP on a Dell laptop at work, and w/ both Tiger and Snow Leopard on two different Mac's at home - day-after-day, same multiple windows/sessions, many multiple tabs, and no issues really to speak of; it might crash once every 4 weeks? Anyhow, point of all this jibberish here - if you want your post to be taken seriously, include the other variables: what OS, what version of Firefox, what occurred, etc. Otherwise, IMHO, a complaint is durn near meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 09:18 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
No offense, none at all, directed towards you or anyone specifically... but, it buggers me to no end when someone complains about an issue - yet does not mention at all any of the other pertinent and important factors.

Anyhow, point of all this jibberish here - if you want your post to be taken seriously, include the other variables: what OS, what version of Firefox, what occurred, etc. Otherwise, IMHO, a complaint is durn near meaningless.
Well, since you asked.............

I stopped using it at home because it took a long time to initiate, even after demanding it stop checking for updates on every boot and upgraded to the latest and greatest version. I also encountered general lag times when launching java based programs through Firefox; and browser crashes. Restarting the browser was troublesome, as it took a few minutes for the "you must stop the program" message to go away. For home use, I swapped to Google Chrome and while much faster at the boot, I encounter worse issues with java.

As such, I downloaded Opera for my work PC as the java issue became a bigger problem on Chrome. So far, Opera has been very successful on my work PC loading java based programs. I have not downloaded Opera for my home PC, but I probably will give it a try soon.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 10-07-2009 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Well, since you asked.............

I stopped using it at home because it took a long time to initiate, even after demanding it stop checking for updates on every boot and upgraded to the latest and greatest version. I also encountered general lag times when launching java based programs through Firefox; and browser crashes. Restarting the browser was troublesome, as it took a few minutes for the "you must stop the program" message to go away. For home use, I swapped to Google Chrome and while much faster at the boot, I encounter worse issues with java.

As such, I downloaded Opera for my work PC as the java issue became a bigger problem on Chrome. So far, Opera has been very successful on my work PC loading java based programs. I have not downloaded Opera for my home PC, but I probably will give it a try soon.
Thanks - that helps understanding... and if read correctly, seems like maybe mostly an issue with java-based programs compatibility with Firefox and even some other browsers? I am not that knowledgeable about java as I'd like, and its relationship w/ browsers - but do recall from reading years ago, and then again just now to refresh memory regarding java's goals:
1. It should be "simple, object oriented, and familiar".
2. It should be "robust and secure".
3. It should be "architecture neutral and portable".
4. It should execute with "high performance".
5. It should be "interpreted, threaded, and dynamic".

Again, just asking,,, but could the following be something to investigate?
Java Browser Issues and/or Notes on using Java applets in browsers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet