Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:30 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,294,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yes, the .exe file is the installer, as long as that isn't run, you should be fine, but there are some that will run without asking you.
These damn things are evil. It finally occured to me to Google Total Security and there are complaints all over the place about this thing. Here's the Norton forum Help with Total Security popup - Norton 360 - Norton Community They agree with you about Malwarebytes...I'll run it tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 02:19 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,912,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
These damn things are evil. It finally occured to me to Google Total Security and there are complaints all over the place about this thing. Here's the Norton forum Help with Total Security popup - Norton 360 - Norton Community They agree with you about Malwarebytes...I'll run it tonight.
That particular one is only one of literally thousands out there, and they are about to get worse, see this post by me.

//www.city-data.com/forum/compu...echnology.html

Old 10-15-2009, 04:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,560,140 times
Link to Noscript add-on for Firefox

NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - get it! - InformAction

Old 10-15-2009, 06:35 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,566,594 times
I made the mistake of clicking on a questionable link when googling something I saw on a movie. I got a pop up saying that Windows has like 900 virus infections and 900 spyware infections and all that... It kept trying to force me to download some program (I forget the name) to fix it.... how nice of them.

Funny thing I have Mac OS X.

I did actually have to go and do a force quit of my web browser to get out of that.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,912,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
I made the mistake of clicking on a questionable link when googling something I saw on a movie. I got a pop up saying that Windows has like 900 virus infections and 900 spyware infections and all that... It kept trying to force me to download some program (I forget the name) to fix it.... how nice of them.

Funny thing I have Mac OS X.

I did actually have to go and do a force quit of my web browser to get out of that.
Browser pop ups affect Macs as well, the good news is you can't actually get infected because the installer can't run on OSX.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 AM

750 posts, read 1,432,159 times
I would also like to add that if you are a good speller/proofreader, you can usually spot these right away. Their spelling and grammar is just awful and very unprofessional. I received one of these "security warning" things last week (like others, using Google) telling me I needed to download their virus protection immediately. I thought it was Norton/Semantec for a second. I calmed down and read the wording and yikes! What a mess of bad writing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet