Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

LadyJacoba,

If this is what you want:

Have your email automatically download to OE, yet also stay at your Comcast server.

Do this:

In OE Click on Tools/Accounts/Email Tab

Click on your email account at the left and then on Properties at the right.

On the resulting dialog box click on the Advanced Tab and place a check mark in the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server"

Click on OK, then Close

Click on Tools/Accounts

On the General tab place a check mark in the box next to "Send and receive messages at startup"

Click on OK, then close

When OE starts it will automatically go to Comcast and download your email. A copy of each will be left on the Comcast server. That allows you to get your email easily because it will download to OE when it starts, yet you can still handle the maintenance of files at Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 AM

66 posts, read 199,710 times
Tek_Freek...

Thank you.

The bottom line is that I probably don't know exactly what I want... I realize this complicates matters. However, I think what I want is to do my e-mail activity through my comcast e-mail and have that address available for web mail and Picasa. I really do not want to deal with O.E. at all.

Per your advice I went into OE Tools/Accounts/Mail...

The box for "Leave a copy of message on server" was already checked.

Under that were two boxes...

The first said "Remove from server after "x" days. That box was not checked.

The second was "Remove from server when deleted from deleted items." That box was checked, and I have now removed that check. (Am I correct in understanding that "my server" refers to comcast? Please tell me my server is not OE.)

The second part of your message said to go into Tools/Accounts.

I did this but found no "General Tab"...

I have listings for: All, Mail, News, Directory Service. I looked into each of those, found no boxes for "send and receive messages at startup", and so made no changes.

It appears that I am using OE 6.

At this point it may be that when I delete in OE, the message is not deleted from my comcast e-mail which was what I wanted. Thank you.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
My bad!

The second part should be Tools/Options, not Tools/Accounts.

Some days....

Your assumption regarding the "server" mentioned in OE is correct, they are talking about the Comcast server, and you are right to remove that check.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 PM

66 posts, read 199,710 times
Tek_Freek...

Why, yes, that did go much better! Again, thank you!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:26 AM

204 posts, read 418,101 times
Thanks Tek_Freek,that worked for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet