Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 03:50 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,103 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I posted this in the Business Forum, but rec'd no replies....so I figured it should have gone here.

I'm in the process of having a new web site designed for a personal one on one shop at home window treatment business. Can anyone please provide some expert techno info on how to go about increasing the ranking for my site on google? I've been getting varied opinions and really don't know who's correct.

One suggestion was inserting obvious key words. Another was to insert the list of towns that I would be serving at the bottom of the page...but was told by another person that google frowns upon this.

Not sure if this is a joke...but was told to have random family and friends click on my web site daily to help increase traffic in bringing up the ranking. Would this work?

Any and all info will be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 05:36 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,966 times
All of those work. Google refines searches based on specific search phrase matches and the number of people clicking on the link. So you want to tag your site with as many variants of phrasing as you think people will use to find a site like yours.

As people click on your site in the results, it will go up in ranking.

And of course, you could always pay Google to have your site show up on the side in relevant search results.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,811 times
Having multiple key words is good, but, only if the key words that are used in the meta tags also appear in the body of the page. Link Backs are a big part of ranking. Sheer numbers of links to your site isn't half as important as the quality of the sites that link to yours. If sites that have a good Goggle ranking link to your site, then your site will rank well.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Only Google knows what makes a page rank high but we can certainly make assumptions based on observing how pages rank.

SEO starts with following the basics. Good coding practices such as good titles and meta descriptions are important. Note that you should provide unique title and description for every page and if you can't provide unique description don't use one at all.

The general consensus is that Meta Keywords are really irrelevant but no reason not to use them.

Link text plays major factor especially when it's inbound link from another site. Page contents and surrounding text etc.... Seek out links from other sites especially if they are similar in nature.

The real key is having good content and a reason for people to want to come to your site, for example start a blog on your site and post some new info pertaining to what you do once a month. Maybe a tutorial, some common questions etc. You want to give people a reason to return or link to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet