Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times

Advertisements

If your not paranoid when your on the web, you need to be.

"Researchers at security firm Finjan have discovered details of a new type of banking Trojan horse that doesn't just steal your bank log in credentials but actually steals money from your account while you are logged in and displays a fake balance."

New Banking Trojan Steals Data - and Money - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
If your not paranoid when your on the web, you need to be.

"Researchers at security firm Finjan have discovered details of a new type of banking Trojan horse that doesn't just steal your bank log in credentials but actually steals money from your account while you are logged in and displays a fake balance."

New Banking Trojan Steals Data - and Money - CBS News
Thanks Dave, scarry. It didn't mention google chrome as being vulnerable. I use both IE7 and chrome. Guess I'll start utilizing chrome more often.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
I seem to remember reading an article about one bank actually suggesting that people boot from a Linux LiveCD and do internet banking using a browser on the LiveCD. It's a read-only medium, and everything starts fresh when you boot, so there's no risk of trojans or other nasties intercepting your session, at least locally.

Of course, you still probably need to keep the version of the web browser on the CD current, so it may mean burning a new CD every once in a while, or going through the browser update process every time you use it.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I seem to remember reading an article about one bank actually suggesting that people boot from a Linux LiveCD and do internet banking using a browser on the LiveCD. It's a read-only medium, and everything starts fresh when you boot, so there's no risk of trojans or other nasties intercepting your session, at least locally.

Of course, you still probably need to keep the version of the web browser on the CD current, so it may mean burning a new CD every once in a while, or going through the browser update process every time you use it.
Not a bad idea at all, but the inconvienence would turn most people off, at least until they lost $$ out of their accounts.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not a bad idea at all, but the inconvienence would turn most people off, at least until they lost $$ out of their accounts.
I like the idea, will have to give it a try. Would launching the livecd inside a virtual machine make this less secure at all?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I like the idea, will have to give it a try. Would launching the livecd inside a virtual machine make this less secure at all?
The issue would be if your OS is infected with one of the password stealers, would it be able to intercept the keystrokes going to the virtual machine? I have no idea, but the possibility exists, the sophistication of todays malware is mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet