Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times

Advertisements

I've heard about wiki's, even went to wikipedia to figure out what they are, and my brain must not be in full gear today. Can anyone help me understand what a wiki is and how it's used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Straight from Wikipedia. I don't know quite how to explain this in a simpler manner. The links provide the definition of the terms used.

A wiki (pronounced /ˈwɪki/ WIK-ee) is a website that allows the easy[1] creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser using a simplified markup language or a WYSIWYG text editor.

I do enjoy the link for "interlinked". WTH?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
yeah, I read that before posting. Still can't wrap my brain around it.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I was afraid of that.

Basically it's a web site where anyone that wants to can add information. Said information is edited by others and the obviously incorrect is removed.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Look at this way, it's similar to this forum but instead of post to start a topic with subsequent replies people add to the original post and build upon it.

Let's say I start an entry in a wiki, we'll call widgets.

"Widgets are blue"

Now maybe you know about widgets better than me and know they are usually blue but can sometimes be red so you'd edit my entry:

"Widgets are usually blue but sometimes can be red."

From that other people can build on the entry, if there is any arguments about what the facts may be each wiki entry has discussion page more like a forum format where different editors can work out their differences.

If you have your own hosting you install the same software Wikipedia uses for free: MediaWiki

Old 01-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Using Wikipedia or any other mature wiki as an example makes it hard to grasp the concept. There is a lot of "turf" at Wikipedia, with some articles being guarded against changes by people who are enthusiastic about a topic and high-ranking people in the organization who get to decide whether what people post is worthy of including. It's more of a bureaucracy than the average wiki, which is usually more free-wheeling and loosely organized.

Here's another way to think of it that may help you begin to understand... A wiki is what City-Data would be if everyone could edit everyone else's posts. You can easily imagine that not everyone's edits will be an improvement.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Here is another stab at it:

A collaborative website which can be directly edited by anyone with access to it. Think of it as an encyclopedia in which you can create and post your own entries and anyone can come along and edit them.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
I think of them as

Encyclopedia's of knowledge where everyone's knowledge can be added to the whole.

So imagine if you are in a room and there is a giant whiteboard. You put a subject on the whiteboard, "rattlesnakes", and everyone in the room walks up the whiteboard and writes what they know about rattlesnakes. The keep taking turns until everyone has all their knowledge up, including differences in understanding and opinion, references, personal experience.

The end result is a page that has a comprehensive exploration of rattlesnakes from a wide berth of knowledge, background, and understanding.

The advantages of this are that the expert can detail the physiology of the rattlesnake, while the deer hunter can teach how to spot and handle an encounter with a rattle snake in the wild.

The disadvantages are that bad information can get in and sometimes is not refuted or corrected well.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I've heard about wiki's, even went to wikipedia to figure out what they are, and my brain must not be in full gear today. Can anyone help me understand what a wiki is and how it's used?
Maybe a simpler way to look at it is this: a wiki is a web site which is like a public blackboard. Anyone who is walking by can write on it or erase stuff by deleting, changing, or adding their own text, links, and pictures as they see fit.

The difference is that everything is usually logged so people can look and see who edited or removed what, and sometimes there are moderators who can lock things down or undo changed that aren't wanted.

A wiki lets anyone who knows something about a topic contribute to the page, which makes it a really neat way (at least potentially) to create a page about almost any subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet