Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:01 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,788 times

Advertisements

Time Warner was charging me $29.33 a month for internet only. Its fast enough. I love it.
I received my bill and its gone up $10 a month. After talking with 3 different reps at TW and not getting a cheaper price I'm switchin' to Go0gle Fiber. I live in Kansas City.
My neighbors have had it for almost a year now with no complaints.
So here's my concern...
I have had a Roadrunner email address for 7 years.
I use Thunderbird so I almost never have to go to the RoadRunner sight for anything.
Can someone tell me, why do the people on the internet call Thunderbird an email client? Its not really the client.

I do not like Gmail or Microsoft mail of any kind. I have had a Yahoo address for 14 years. Oh the spam that
has built up! Plus, I do not like what Yahoo has done to the email.

I have used Inbox.com for email before.

Since I will be switching I'm looking for a good, nice, pleasant web mail client that I can use with Thunderbird. One where the site doesn't go down every other day, etc.

Which email clients do you all use?
Thank you in advance for your help with this email hunt.

Last edited by Dawter; 07-31-2014 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: mistyped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:35 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
TB plus these 3 AddOns to TB have worked for me for several years now.

WebMail 1.5.1 (TB's main add-on for webmail access)

WebMail- Yahoo 1.5.7 (Yahoo specific driver ) (there are others for Gmail etc)

X-Notifier 3.4.2 (not sure I even need this ;-) but it doesn't hurt)

I have 2 Yahoo accounts in addition to my 2 Earthlink ISP e-mail accounts.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
I think you have Client, and Provider confused.

Yahoo, RR, Gmail, Outlook.com (the website, not the program), etc .... these are mail Providers (they provide a mail service).

Outlook (the program, not the website), Thunderbird, Windows Mail, Outlook Express, etc ... these are Clients (they communicate with the provider).

Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I use the gmail client. I like it better than the others I have used.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:35 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
TB plus these 3 AddOns to TB have worked for me for several years now.

WebMail 1.5.1 (TB's main add-on for webmail access)
What does webmail do? I set my RoadRunner webmail up in TB using the POP...ingoing and outgoing server, etc. I don't use a TB extension. How does WebMail 1.5.1 work?
Thank you.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
Can someone tell me, why do the people on the internet call Thunderbird an email client?
The term "client" refers to the client/server model of computing. As it pertains to email, your service provider would run the software that is the "server" side of that model, and the software you use (Thunderbird) is the "client" side.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:

Which email clients do you all use?
I believe you are talking about the host, any host whether it's Gmail, Yahoo etc can be accessed with email client like Thunderbird. You don't have to use the web interface.

https://my.help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-fo...s-sln4724.html

Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Hotmail has always been great. A year or two ago, they turned it into Outlook mail.

It is very clean, minimalistic, and isn't filled with 100 links and clutter all over the screen like Gmail and some others.

It's also very easy and intuitive to use.

If you want clean and easy, go with Outlook/Hotmail.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
What does webmail do? I set my RoadRunner webmail up in TB using the POP...ingoing and outgoing server, etc. I don't use a TB extension. How does WebMail 1.5.1 work?
Thank you.
A POP mail server is not "webmail". It is the mail server your ISP provides for use with an e-mail reader "client" like TB, etc. Generally only used on your home computer.

"Webmail" is when you access a mail service like Yahoo or Hotmail via a browser like FireFox or IE. Which you can do from any Web enabled browser at a netcafe, library, friend's house, etc. But you have to navigate to the webpage, enter username & pswd, etc etc.

The TB add-ons like WebMail 1.5.1 allow TB to access a webmail service like Yahoo by "automating" the keystrokes/mouse clicks you would have done in a browser to access your Yahoo mailbox. Thereby you get all the advantages of a reader client like TB, basically making Yahoo act like a POP server. (Auto-Logon, Auto-Get Messages, local storage, filtering, etc)

In my TB's Server Settings, my 2 Earthlink ISP accounts use POP. The 2 Yahoo accounts use IMAP, along with the add-on.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 PM

38,893 posts, read 22,875,846 times
As far as e-mail clients, I switch off between Microsoft Outlook (comes with Microsoft Office) and Windows Live Mail (part of Live Essentials from Microsoft).

As far as e-mail providers, I use Yahoo, GMail, Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail) and Road Runner, which is part of Time Warner Cable. I access all these services with the e-mail clients. I very rarely go to the websites of the mail providers to read and send e-mail messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet