U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,158,000 times

Advertisements

If it was a possibility I would suggest FiOS!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 06:20 PM

15,599 posts, read 37,093,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
"High Speed DSL" My ***** 256kb down 128 up, $39.99PM Gotta love living in the boondocks.
Dude...thats exactly what I have and pay...in rural Alaska! And yes...I love living in the boondocks!

Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 PM

10,193 posts, read 25,876,759 times
Ronzou, what is FIOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
If it was a possibility I would suggest FiOS!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,301,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenleigh View Post
Wow, I'm jealous of how little everyone pays. We have Comcast and for cable + internet it's $84.97/month. That's what I get for *not* living in the boonies, I guess. Comcast pretty much has a monopoly on the Chicago suburbs for cable service. Speedtest.net says my speed is 2667 kb/s down and 1494 kb/s up, but I'm on a wireless network connection so that probably slows it down.
While that download speed looks pretty killer and is in the higher range for a cable connection, I think that upload speed might be just a bit optimistic (gives a shrug) BTW the cost of your combined service sound like a very good deal to me as long as it's reliable and you are happy with it.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 PM

677 posts, read 4,022,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
While that download speed looks pretty killer and is in the higher range for a cable connection, I think that upload speed might be just a bit optimistic (gives a shrug) BTW the cost of your combined service sound like a very good deal to me as long as it's reliable and you are happy with it.
Thanks. You're saying my speed is really fast? That website said the average for Comcast cable in IL is 10854 kb/s down, and that the US average is 4685 kb/s. It made me sad. My friend who lives in the next town over also has Comcast and it's very unreliable for her, but we've had very few problems. (Actually I don't think we've had any problems since Comcast took over - we had problems when it used to be AT&T.) And when our first modem died they replaced it for free. So we are very happy with Comcast, I recommend them.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:45 PM

31,304 posts, read 30,481,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
I've got Qwest DSL, It costs $29.95 a month, and am currently at 100MBPS, I love it. I had a satellite system, paid sixty bucks a month and it was absolutely horrible.

I’ve got the same Qwest DSL in Phoenix for $29.95 which includes MSN as an interest service provider connected via Qwest DSL 100MBPS service. MSN emails without additional charges. Love the produce, price and service from Qwest. Qwest and MSN partnered a great package at a price guaranteed for life.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 PM

47 posts, read 33,622 times
Default No comcast here

As far as I know, there is no Comcast cable here in Murphy. At least not where I am. I don't live in the "city" limits. I live on the outskirts of town. There's satellite, if you want to pay for the equipment. Uh, no thanks! Guess I'll just have to pester and pester until I get it.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Ronzou, what is FIOS?
FiOS is fiber(fibre as british english would say) optic internet service offed by Verizon wireless in a few test markets, but growing.

Here where I live was one of the first to get it. And now they have Internet, voice, television, all on one little fiber optic cable.

The slowest speed is 5Mbps, but if you want to pay you can get up to 50Mbps.

However that's with current technology, fiber optics can handle speeds up to 2 Gbps right now, but with no technology to send it, fiber optic cables are laughing at us and our feeble technology. lol

Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’ve got the same Qwest DSL in Phoenix for $29.95 which includes MSN as an interest service provider connected via Qwest DSL 100MBPS service. MSN emails without additional charges. Love the produce, price and service from Qwest. Qwest and MSN partnered a great package at a price guaranteed for life.
Wow I just checked their web site and it says the fastest residential DSL is 7 Mbps...

And since you made the "b" capitalized, I'm guessing you mean bytes?

100 Megabytes per second? Are you sure it's not Megabits? And it's still outrageously fast for DSL. Which... Can't hit those speeds.

If you have 100 MBps you have to have a T carrier or O carrier...

I guess I'm confused.

Because DSL is over copper, and since copper succumbs to interference quite easily (and it goes over telephone lines which doesn't help) Phoenix, must either have many repeaters/regenerators for the signal to keep it clean and strong, and it must be some magical DSL. (Okay I suppose if you had the right encoding method it could be possible to send it that way over DSL through long lines.)

I'm guess you're seeing 100 MBps because you're either directly connected to the DSL modem, or directly connected to the router/switch. That's not your DSL speeds.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenleigh View Post
Thanks. You're saying my speed is really fast? That website said the average for Comcast cable in IL is 10854 kb/s down, and that the US average is 4685 kb/s. It made me sad. My friend who lives in the next town over also has Comcast and it's very unreliable for her, but we've had very few problems. (Actually I don't think we've had any problems since Comcast took over - we had problems when it used to be AT&T.) And when our first modem died they replaced it for free. So we are very happy with Comcast, I recommend them.
That happens with cable since everyone shares the nice bandwidth bandwagon, it can bog down at times for some, but if they have nice equipment it shouldn't be too horrible.

My only problem with cable is, it's less secure than DSL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet