Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 05:47 AM

84 posts, read 177,895 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was just wonder if anyone could help me out with this. I installed an hp printer last night and now my computer won't connect to the internet. It seems like it rerouted my internet connection. Am I the only one who has ever had this problem and is this an easy fix? Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:29 AM

806 posts, read 2,883,889 times
How is the printer installed/connected? With parallel/USB cables or ethernet/wirelessly through a router? If you turn off the printer or unplug the cables does your PC connect? If not, did you check under the FILE TAB of your browser to see if it's set to WORK OFFLINE?
About the only way I can think of that your situation would happen is if the printer has a static IP address that conflicts with the one assigned to your PC and even then, there should be a pop up message box that says that conflict exists.
Does the printer print?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:55 AM

The computer is connected through a dsl router. Funny thing about setting the printer up was I have three different USB cables and none of them fit so actually I am not sure if the printer will print other than the test page it prints when you first set it up. When I look at the internet connection it looks like it is trying to connect through the hp printer network or something to that effect. I am at work right now so I cannot remember what the exact wording was when I was trying to get it to connect. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:30 AM

806 posts, read 2,883,889 times
Quote:
...Funny thing about setting the printer up was I have three different USB cables and none of them fit so actually I am not sure if the printer will print...
So, how is the printer connected? Directly to the PC or through the router?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Sorry I am starting to feel quite dingy now, you know the problem is not at all when I plugged in printer, it is actually when I used the hp installation disk to install it that the internet won't connect now. To clarify also the printer is not hooked up to the computer at all since I did not have the proper USB cable. So the real issue is the installation disk. Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,928 times
i installed a printer at my office. I have four computers connected to the network. after the printer was set up 3 out of the four computers stopped connecting to the internet (including my Iphone 6 s plus) the printer is connected to wifi but is connected to the main computer (which is not connected to the internet) by a usb cable.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:38 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
I got a new Canon printer earlier this year. The Canon has two ways to connect wirelessly. 1. Through the LAN 2. Where the printer is the host. #2 means you can't connect to the internet, only to the printer.

First thing you should do is see if you are connecting to your LAN. high likelihood you are not. If you have Windows, you can check by clicking on the icon in your tray on the bottom right. If it's wrong, just click on the right one and check the box for automatic..

If you post the model of printer, we can download its instructions and help you with better troubleshooting.

FYI, setting up my Canon printer was a PITA, so I'd venture that your problem is hardly unique, and does not reflect a lack of understanding on your part

Old 09-08-2016, 08:27 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjohns_rocks View Post
i installed a printer at my office. I have four computers connected to the network. after the printer was set up 3 out of the four computers stopped connecting to the internet (including my Iphone 6 s plus) the printer is connected to wifi but is connected to the main computer (which is not connected to the internet) by a usb cable.
You may have reached the router limit on wifi connections or you do not have enough bandwidth to share another wifi device or your router is failing. I'd probably do a factory reset to the router to clear out all cached memory of devices and then re-setup the router with all your devices. If it doesn't work, go out and purchase a new dual band router.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:25 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Any modern router can support more connections then 98% of people will ever need.
It sounds to me like the printer is trying to act as a Access Point or something like that and competing with the router.
If you turn these printers totally off, does the problem go away?

Old 09-09-2016, 01:30 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
^ Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet