Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 PM

261 posts, read 1,519,084 times

Advertisements

Since the market is at a "low", would this be a good time to start buying stocks (etrade, first trade, etc) ?

I know the rule of thumb of investing is to stay in or the long term, but would buying at a time like this put an investor in a better position since stocks are so low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,210,499 times
You can only guess on which way the stock market will move on any given day, but there are some serious problems coming down the turnpike at us, and even former bulls are warning to get out of it for now.

It would be wise to seek a safe haven for your surplus money for a couple of years. However you COULD take a chance, and you might even win big ..... personally, if I were reckless enough to invest now, it would at least be in stocks that are known to do well in a recession.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,493,824 times
Yes, I agree with Woof.

You need to know what you're doing to get into the market now. I suspect a lot of unexperienced folks are jumping in thinking this is a great time to roll the dice.

More experienced investors that I know are looking at safe havens for money.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:07 PM

6,792 posts, read 7,313,365 times
Don't try to catch a falling knife. Wait for the market to prove it has bottomed. There will be plenty of money to be made on the upside, but it will not happen quickly. When stocks are really out of favor it will be time to buy.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:18 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,633,972 times
Yes.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,391 times
i start to get interest in this business, but i really don't know how it will work anyone can give me a hint?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM

21,343 posts, read 19,973,268 times
I hope the OP bought!

miss.pie, I'll tell you what I did (and what I'd do today). I read a few books on investing and subscribed to Money magazine to educate myself. I got information from 3 mutual fund companies & bought money market funds with each of them. As I accumulated enough for a minimum purchase of a no-load stock mutual fund ($3000), I bought 2 with each company. When the stock market drops and people start talking about recessions, I transfer more money to those funds. I have since added 2 more funds for more diversification.

Here's a list of mutual fund companies. List of 50 Largest Mutual Fund Companies Ranked by Assets for 2008 They have a lot of info online for first time investors (not available when I started).

I would strongly caution against buying individual stocks unless and until you get very knowledgeable and are willing to spend a lot of time researching and monitoring your investments (and have the temperament to watch your money vanish).

Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 PM

998 posts, read 1,219,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.pie View Post
i start to get interest in this business, but i really don't know how it will work anyone can give me a hint?
You should not get interested in investing in a soaring market that everyone is bragging about. The time to get in is when everyone is cursing the market & swearing that they will never invest again.

I went all into the market at 7200. I got out at 11400. I have been buying houses & gold until New Years when I started selling gold. The Fed, Presidents Working Group (Plunge Protection Team) pumped $9 Trillion into the stock market & banks during the bail-out. Not the measly $700 Billion you were told about. So remember, you are playing against the super computers that can flash-crash & the US Government Federal Reserve. Good Luck to you when they decide to cash-out.

Here is a list of the few we know got bailed-out.

• Goldman Sachs received nearly $600 billion
• Morgan Stanley received nearly $2 trillion
• Citigroup received $1.8 trillion
• Bear Stearns received nearly $1 trillion
• Merrill Lynch received some $1.5 trillion
• Deutsche Bank, a German lender, sold the Fed more than $290 billion worth of mortgage securities
• Credit Suisse, a Swiss bank, sold the Fed more than $287 billion in mortgage bonds
• General Electric
• McDonald's
• Caterpillar
• Harley Davidson
• Toyota
• Verizon

Last edited by KrazeeKrewe; 01-28-2011 at 11:27 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,059,439 times
McDonalds got bailed out? That's a joke, right?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,680,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
You should not get interested in investing in a soaring market that everyone is bragging about. The time to get in is when everyone is cursing the market & swearing that they will never invest again.

I went all into the market at 7200. I got out at 11400. I have been buying houses & gold until New Years when I started selling gold. The Fed, Presidents Working Group (Plunge Protection Team) pumped $9 Trillion into the stock market & banks during the bail-out. Not the measly $700 Billion you were told about. So remember, you are playing against the super computers that can flash-crash & the US Government Federal Reserve. Good Luck to you when they decide to cash-out.

Here is a list of the few we know got bailed-out.

• Goldman Sachs received nearly $600 billion
• Morgan Stanley received nearly $2 trillion
• Citigroup received $1.8 trillion
• Bear Stearns received nearly $1 trillion
• Merrill Lynch received some $1.5 trillion
• Deutsche Bank, a German lender, sold the Fed more than $290 billion worth of mortgage securities
• Credit Suisse, a Swiss bank, sold the Fed more than $287 billion in mortgage bonds
• General Electric
• McDonald's
• Caterpillar
• Harley Davidson
• Toyota
• Verizon

Why the heck is GS on the list? LOL. They just gave $500 million to facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing