Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 AM

857 posts, read 1,998,620 times

Advertisements

Hi folks-
I'm going to roll my 401k over into an IRA (as well as move some cash into a non-retirement investment account) and need advice on 2 things:

1) Should I use an adviser? This is a lot more money than i've ever invested, but I'm thinking "no". I mean, why pay someone to do probably the exact same thing I'm going to do? - put most of it into broad-market index ETFs and funds, and the rest into higher-risk mid/small cap and international funds. There are even targeted retirement funds that adjust their allocation as time goes on. Does anyone have experience using an adviser? Do they really help you if you already know the basics?

2) Regarding funds - i see a lot of advice on forums like this "Call up vanguard/t.rowe/fidelity/etc. and place your money in one of their funds." I'm a little confused by this. All of the funds they offer on their sites are available through my online broker. Is there any difference between just buying the fund myself, and opening an account with them? Are they selling something additional?

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 12:08 PM

879 posts, read 1,958,631 times
1) Don't use an advisor if you can do it yourself. Just using one puts you at a disadvantage because of the fees. Now, if you really DON'T know the basics, and/or if you're likely to make poor decisions, then you might be better off with an advisor.

2) The only difference between buying, for example, a Vanguard fund from your broker or buying it through Vanguard itself is that your broker will likely charge a transaction fee, whereas Vanguard won't. That and buying/selling will likely be a little more convenient going through your broker.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:19 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,331,630 times
I agree with Longarm. If you can research stocks or funds that you like, and pick one, then good for you, you don't need a broker.

But if you've never invested before outside your 401(k), then it probably would help to have an advisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing