Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,830,910 times

Advertisements

Anyone use their service for retirement help?

If yes, what have been your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 AM

106,883 posts, read 109,133,761 times
nooooooooooooooooooooo

Old 04-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nooooooooooooooooooooo
Have you heard of them though?

What do you think of the companies that help you prepare for retirement?

Old 04-22-2011, 02:20 PM

never heard of them and there are very few companies that really help you prepare for retirement in a worthwhile way.

there are 2 parts to being succesful at investing and retirement planning.

part one is the accumulation stage. thats where we invest aggressively and we try to maximize every penny into a return.

we put together an appropriate asset mix and we save all we can.

those financial guys are a dime a dozen and most arent worth a penny of your money.

then there is part II .. thats where we attempt to get the right balance of life insurance ,roths, traditional accounts,taxable money ,annuities all working together to give our partner uncle sam as little a share as possible and to create a reliable income stream for you and your spouse. its no longer about growing richer, its about not growing poorer as this is the de-accumulation stage where we start to spend down to live.

this is where manipulating life insurance and traditional ira accounts with roths and taxable accounts can defeat uncle sam fairly well. its a real pro's game.

this is a critical part even more important than the first part. you can make do with less of a return if you save more in taxes.

these guys are few and far between. ed slott is one of the masters at this part of the game. i intend to use one of these guys myself when the time comes.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-22-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM

6,631 posts, read 7,364,568 times
I have looked at their site and I think they are a legitimate company. The question is what services do you need? A portfolio review. They can do that. Developing a retirement plan? Might be better off with a financial advisor (not a stock broker) that charges by the hour.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,372,107 times
Only use them if they are free. ING manages my retirement account through my 401(k) and they subcontract out the forecasting and investment recommendations to financial engines.

If you dig down they can give you some interesting mixes based on your risk style and what models they use to forecast out what you will have at retirement.

In my opinion though, they will always tell you the same thing - invest as much as you can as aggressively as you can at a young age and get more conservative as you get older. And they'll avoid horizon funds. They'll also advocate a reversal of what I feel is a good mix between foreign funds and small/mid cap funds... I think no more than 20% of your portfolio should be foreign, but they once told me to go 40%! But it's free to me and I wanted to see what they thought. There's also a section where they give you access to all the research they've done on individual stocks too. It's a pretty sweet deal since its free.

But if its not free, you'll get no better advice from them than probably what you already get.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:00 PM

What if you are getting free service through your employer?

How can can a hold of Ed Slott?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
never heard of them and there are very few companies that really help you prepare for retirement in a worthwhile way.

there are 2 parts to being succesful at investing and retirement planning.

part one is the accumulation stage. thats where we invest aggressively and we try to maximize every penny into a return.

we put together an appropriate asset mix and we save all we can.

those financial guys are a dime a dozen and most arent worth a penny of your money.

then there is part II .. thats where we attempt to get the right balance of life insurance ,roths, traditional accounts,taxable money ,annuities all working together to give our partner uncle sam as little a share as possible and to create a reliable income stream for you and your spouse. its no longer about growing richer, its about not growing poorer as this is the de-accumulation stage where we start to spend down to live.

this is where manipulating life insurance and traditional ira accounts with roths and taxable accounts can defeat uncle sam fairly well. its a real pro's game.

this is a critical part even more important than the first part. you can make do with less of a return if you save more in taxes.

these guys are few and far between. ed slott is one of the masters at this part of the game. i intend to use one of these guys myself when the time comes.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I have looked at their site and I think they are a legitimate company. The question is what services do you need? A portfolio review. They can do that. Developing a retirement plan? Might be better off with a financial advisor (not a stock broker) that charges by the hour.
That FA can do the same thing you can. You just need to study it. There are so many free tools on the web for you to use.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 AM

1,537 posts, read 2,428,114 times
Financial Engines was offered by my employeer as a benefit. I felt I had my 401k ($1.3 million) well invested but they came in with a different view and I went with it. Can't complain so far as the returns have been good. In speaking with them they commented that my investment choices and diversification were good and in reality there changes were minor. When I asked how others from my company looked they said some were so far off the mark it was a shock that people at those job levels could be so ill informed on investments. My vote is have them or someone give your investments a "check up" every few years.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What if you are getting free service through your employer?

How can can a hold of Ed Slott?
today you cant actually see ed slott. he has folks though that are taught ,trained and operate under his guidance all over the country. if you call his office here in ny they will tell you who in your area is an associate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing