Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

i cant find any time frame where i cant look at the markets charts over the last 50 years and say of course the markets did this,look at the events of that time frame.
short term markets are all over the place but smooth them out so you can see the trend that year and they are nothing but the messenger of the events that year.

of couse there are those folks who try to time things and dont have a clue about investing or panic and run in a downturn. then they complain how the markets are rigged and they lost money.

a 1200% gain in nothing special fidelity funds since i started over 25 years ago just staying the course ,through crashes, financial collapse and every economic scenerio says your theory is all wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i cant find any time frame where i cant look at the markets charts over the last 50 years and say of course the markets did this,look at the events of that time frame.
short term markets are all over the place but smooth them out so you can see the trend that year and they are nothing but the messenger of the events that year.

of couse there are those folks who try to time things and dont have a clue about investing or panic and run in a downturn. then they complain how the markets are rigged and they lost money.

a 1200% gain in nothing special fidelity funds since i started over 25 years ago just staying the course ,through crashes, financial collapse and every economic scenerio says your theory is all wet.
The market did a 1500% from 1980 until 1999. So you just rode along.

Reggie did a 400% with a 50% cash position in 2.5 years. He got out of CRE just before the peak and rode the crash in short positions. He did this based on fundamentals.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
he did it based on luck. no one ,i repeat no one has the inside track to the road to riches with their charts,theory, alignment of the planets or propriatery software.
the forbes 500 is still holding that slot open for their first market timer or market technician..

as far as riding the markets wave, exactley my point. im no genius... i just rode the markets up and down,good or bad. they tracked what the world events and perceptions were that year and matched very close to reality.

we may have burps along the way like a 1000 point drop in seconds, or a market thats a pricing error like bidding nasdaq up to 5000 but like water the markets given the chance to correct will seek their own level like water .

i dont buy the markets are rigged theory for a second.

yes there are those that will try to committ fraud ,or manipulate deals or pump and dump and that will always be the case and they may even succeed on small stocks or sell bad financial products . but the markets trade freely good or bad.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM

31 posts, read 67,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Seriously though, I've read some of your posts and you should dump all of your stock and buy Certificates of Deposits, which are about your speed. You're one of the most ill-informed investors I've ever seen, with zero knowledge of investments, finance or banking. You're typical of the Joe McTraders with their McDells and McGateways in their McMansion thinking they're Warren McBuffets.

Real investors make a killing off of people like you. And even that wouldn't be so bad, except your ilk is constantly running to the government demanding to be bailed out for your losses.
harsh words...but they may be true

Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I really can't believe how much doom and gloom is on these boards. I will bet the farm that they will raise the debt ceiling, no doubt either party wants the headache of a 'default'. It will never happen. It seems everyone is getting nervous that the markets are going to drop like a rock as they did during the height of the recession. Remember people were freaking out when the DOW was at 7,xxx, stopped fuding their 401ks, cashed out stocks, and threw every penny in savings accounts. Obviously these people missed 40% gains over the past 24 months.

America is still the home of the most innovative companies in the world and the most attractive to investors. If it comes to the point that America fails, the whole world will fail. Markets may fall over the next couple months, but as long as you are diversified in solid companies and funds, long term you will be fine.
Great post. Couldn't agree more. I'm personally just holding onto everything and continuing to fund my IRA.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
he did it based on luck.
What he did was to recognize the real estate bubble for what it was and got out of real estate and shorted the companies he worked for.
Quote:
no one ,i repeat no one has the inside track to the road to riches with their charts,theory, alignment of the planets or propriatery software.
Good old fashion hard work and research. It has gone out of stile but if you know more about a company than the CEO of that company does then you can probably make better decisions about what to do with the company than the CEO can.
Quote:
the forbes 500 is still holding that slot open for their first market timer or market technician..

as far as riding the markets wave, exactley my point. im no genius... i just rode the markets up and down,good or bad. they tracked what the world events and perceptions were that year and matched very close to reality.
Investment research | What Happens When That Juggler Gets Clumsy? | Reggie Middleton Boom Bust Blog | Research,financial, Resea “It has been hard for true fundamental investors to reliably make money since the bear market rally of this generation (c. 2nd quarter 2009) due to the fact that global market central planners world wide (read as central bankers and their cohorts) have been distorting price discovery and realistic valuations to an unprecedented extent. Counting the money just doesn't work when no one truly respects and valued money but you. In essence, central bankers world wide (starting here in the US, with our central bank) have disrupted and disrespected the economic circle of life. For a detailed explanation of this happenstance, see Do Black Swans Really Matter? Not As Much as the Circle of Life, The Circle Purposely Disrupted By Multiple Central Banks Worldwide!!! But..... Those very same central bankers/central planners have to juggle many, too many, balls in order to keep this charade afloat. Yes, sink this charade will - and when it does, it will probably look very ugly. Now, its a timing game. As the title inquires...” From the link. He said it better than I ever could.
Quote:
we may have burps along the way like a 1000 point drop in seconds, or a market thats a pricing error like bidding nasdaq up to 5000 but like water the markets given the chance to correct will seek their own level like water .
Yes and that level is far lower than what it currently is.
Quote:

i dont buy the markets are rigged theory for a second.
If you look at the fundamentals and see where things are relative to them then you see a fundamental difference.
Quote:

yes there are those that will try to committ fraud ,or manipulate deals or pump and dump and that will always be the case and they may even succeed on small stocks or sell bad financial products . but the markets trade freely good or bad.
What is the difference between large scale and small scale manipulation? The stock market runs on a long scale bull market followed by a bear market. Three decades of up followed by a decade and a half of down or so. At the start of the last big bull market (1981 or so) 401ks were introduced as retirement vehicles. If you owned stocks in 1980 then you had the opportunity to sell them to the middle class as they were being bought as a retirement savings plan. Now if you have a high savings rate in the banking system you tend to have more exports than imports. So if we had been saving for retirement in banks then it would not have been as profitable to outsource jobs to China. The value of a country is in large part its manufacturing base. Lets say that I own a large part of the Dow. If I get the middle class to cash out my holding then also to do stuff with their money that will tend to push their jobs over seas then I can take the money I got from selling my holding in the Dow and invest in an other country and reap the rewards of having that countries middle class grow. Bait and switch.

Sell the stock market to the middle class and take the middle class's jobs away from them and move the job and the money you got from the middle class over seas.

Go on thinking that all is well and that everything will be alright.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 AM

OOps double clicked and didn't catch it in time.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
he did it based on luck. no one ,i repeat no one has the inside track to the road to riches with their charts,theory, alignment of the planets or propriatery software.
Investment research | The Mechanics Behind Setting Up A Potential European Bank Run Trade | Reggie Middleton Boom Bust Blog | R “This is the introductory post to a series of trade setups for the Bank At Risk featured in the subscription document Italy Exposure Producing Bank Risk. These trade setups are for professional and institutional subscribers only, for they are relatively advanced. Those who have not been following the European bank research and opinion of the past 30 days should reference the following in reverse chronological order.” If you want in on his luck then pony up and pay to look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing