Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,744,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
hey i'm not trying to be great at making money or 'beat the market' guru. I just dont want to ride the market 'helplessly' anymore. I want to be able to actively take advantage of dips, just like when you continue contributing to your 401k on a recession/dip.
I had 50% cash and bought Energy MFs on Oct3 and I'm now 17% higher than as of Jul21. lucky break? sure
All you did was catch a lucky break like the posters on here do once in a while...do not confuse strategy w/outcome.

Sorry Tim, but its a terrible strategy to try to make money (net of commission costs & taxes) over the long term by market timing. You'd be better off DCA'ing like your doing right now and make sure your AA is correct.
Sure, its "boring" to most, but that's how investing and trying to reach your financial goals are supposed to be.

If these guys on Wall St. can't do it successfully, how do you think you can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,583,750 times
no fun and games, no genius, no strategy - I cant afford any of those timewise and expertise. I just want to stick to 'buy low, sell high(er). repeat.' than the 'keep adding shares, let the market work its way to prosperity'. I'll just wait for the next big news. I believe this market is very very different from what the 50+ yo people experienced in the past. you guys saw the growth and I'm happy for you. looking at how the internet has accelerated the reaction time of of investors,I now see how wall street uses this power to our disadvantage.
just last friday after thursday's spike up, i saw the same 'wall street slides' market update when major indexes only moved -0.3%. I do not know how the media and wallstreet is playing the game exactly but you can tell its all about misdirection. What I can do is get ready with cash and wait for the next wave. I dont have to time the very bottom, just low enough so I'm not the biggest loser and have a good chance of catching a ride up
If I make over 25% this year I'll probably keep doing the same thing getting nearer retirement but only on major dips

Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 PM

106,916 posts, read 109,176,429 times
he will have to learn on his own just the same way we all learned about trying to outsmart the markets to make a quick buck.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,641,539 times
Unless u have lots of money to gamble and get practise with more savy stradegies, I don't think the common man belongs in the stock market during these times.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 AM

106,916 posts, read 109,176,429 times
in my lifetime, and ill be 60 there has never been a point where there wasnt a gloomy outlook and a wall of worry yet over the decades staying the course grew some nice piles of money. there were always issues around the world and the country that said now is not a good time to be in markets.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-02-2011 at 02:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing