Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:44 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

in my opinion thats short sighted thinking.

The idea is the investments are something that passively is suppossed to keep the money growing your earning with your business.

One is you working for your money,the other is your money working for you when your not ..

They are meant to accompany each other not an either or.

we go to work to earn the money we then invest passively.

sinking every penny you earn back into anything with no diversity can be a recipe for disaster. our investments diversify us away somewhat from being 100% dependant on the success or failure of your business.

what you earn is human capital and is an asset class that needs to be diversified.

even your paycheck is akin to a fixed income investment and as such should have growth investments as an accomanying diversification.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-04-2012 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks Bradshaw View Post
And I can't speak for others, but for me, I can't see putting money into something where I'd have to wait so long to see returns when I can continue to expand my current business and see returns the very next week. Thanks
Marks

Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
the business graveyard is overflowing with failed businesses where folks took every penny and sunk it back into the business and in the end had a business that failed or wasnt worth more then the assets a competitor may want to buy at a steep discount. .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-04-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Default Similar situation - Try annuities and managed accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Any ideas for me on the below situation?

My out-of-state home is under contract with a closing date at the end of December. Since my current home is paid for, I will have the proceeds from the house to invest....but where???

Last year I got out of the stock market...I am mid-50 and was getting a bit nervous.... would like to invest now in something more solid and conservative, but I am NOT a financial wiz and find it even hard to get interested in doing any research.

Any recommendations on where to invest or where to go for assistance??

Thanks for any help!
From the above and your other posts, it sounds like we're in a similar situation (although I'm retired): 'Chunk/s' of available cash; no immediate need; low risk tolerance; not a financial whiz or interested in the work required to become one; realize that 'putting money under a mattress is a poor option ... even in today's volatile, uncertain markets).

While some pan the idea, I find that Annuities (immediate and longer term) AND managed accounts (for liquidity) 'answer the mail' for me. The annuities provide a pre-determined lifetime income (some include LTC options). The (conservatively)-managed accounts give you oversight, liquidity, investment flexibility, a higher ROI than CD's/T-Bills, oversight and ongoing guidance from (generally) an establish investment plan. Also, if you don't like the results, it's easy to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing