Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:34 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Any ideas for me on the below situation?

My out-of-state home is under contract with a closing date at the end of December. Since my current home is paid for, I will have the proceeds from the house to invest....but where???

Last year I got out of the stock market...I am mid-50 and was getting a bit nervous.... would like to invest now in something more solid and conservative, but I am NOT a financial wiz and find it even hard to get interested in doing any research.

Any recommendations on where to invest or where to go for assistance??

Thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 06:26 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
I would goto Bogleheads.org which is a website forum for people who follow advice inspired by Jack Bogle (the founder of Vanguard).

There are very smart,frugal, fiscally conservative investors there. I'm sure there are other good forums, but I've been a lurker for years and the advice I've received cannot put a price tag on (on a variety of subjects)

I would lurk for a couple days and look at all the topics, then signup and post a detailed snapshot of your information.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:22 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Any ideas for me on the below situation?

My out-of-state home is under contract with a closing date at the end of December. Since my current home is paid for, I will have the proceeds from the house to invest....but where???

Last year I got out of the stock market...I am mid-50 and was getting a bit nervous.... would like to invest now in something more solid and conservative, but I am NOT a financial wiz and find it even hard to get interested in doing any research.

Any recommendations on where to invest or where to go for assistance??

Thanks for any help!
At this point, your tolerance for risk must be very low. My recommendation would be to find a good and trusted Ameritrade/Schwab personal broker/advisor. He will take a fee and put your money in some safe mutual fund or ETF. Stay away from personal investing or equities

Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
At this point, your tolerance for risk must be very low. My recommendation would be to find a good and trusted Ameritrade/Schwab personal broker/advisor. He will take a fee and put your money in some safe mutual fund or ETF. Stay away from personal investing or equities
I would disagree w/the statement "stay away from personal investing" or "equities". Since he is in his mid-50's he has to figure his money has to work for him for another 25-30 years.

Investing is not as difficult as many make it out to be. Advisors/brokers try to convince people that "you get what you pay for" or "they are smarter than you"...Its funny how I invest a part of my fixed assets in I-Bonds (which right now are around 3-4% apy risk free.) My DD's "advisor" didn't even know what I-bonds were.... I knew about them from spending a little time on the bogleheads forum....

If a person doesn't want ANYTHING to do at all w/their finances, yes, I would agree to look at a fee based advisor.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Thanks everyone...

I will check into a wide variety of options, including those mentioned, prior to commiting to anything or anyone. Unfortunately, I just cannot seem to make myself have a true interest in the research, even though it involves my future.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I would disagree w/the statement "stay away from personal investing" or "equities". Since he is in his mid-50's he has to figure his money has to work for him for another 25-30 years.

Investing is not as difficult as many make it out to be. Advisors/brokers try to convince people that "you get what you pay for" or "they are smarter than you"...Its funny how I invest a part of my fixed assets in I-Bonds (which right now are around 3-4% apy risk free.) My DD's "advisor" didn't even know what I-bonds were.... I knew about them from spending a little time on the bogleheads forum....

If a person doesn't want ANYTHING to do at all w/their finances, yes, I would agree to look at a fee based advisor.
Let's get real, Jack.

She is not going to invest the amount of time you or I or other regulars on this board do with the market.

She even stated that.

So, I will NOT recommend her to jump into equities when equities are getting slaughtered. Oh yeah, that's noise according to you

What if she picks her equities and after she invests, she sees 20% depreciation? Good enough to ruin her Christmas and weekend catch-up with her other girlfriends

She needs to talk to a responsible investment guy from Ameritrade or whatever, someone old, an oldtimer, not some moronic college kid, and that's the best option available. Possibly, he will direct her to some T-bill investment, bonds or ETFs. These entities are safer and more protected than equities and equity-only funds. Where's mathjak when you need him.

GBH, yeah, you heard me, be careful with your money. There's immense pain and misery in the market right now.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone...

I will check into a wide variety of options, including those mentioned, prior to commiting to anything or anyone. Unfortunately, I just cannot seem to make myself have a true interest in the research, even though it involves my future.
You get back what you put in. If you don't care, do you honestly expect some commission paid asshat in a suit? Say goodbye to your money. There are no sure fire investments anymore. Go the 1% savings account route or just blow it all on prostitutes!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Let's get real, Jack.

She is not going to invest the amount of time you or I or other regulars on this board do with the market.

She even stated that.

So, I will NOT recommend her to jump into equities when equities are getting slaughtered. Oh yeah, that's noise according to you

What if she picks her equities and after she invests, she sees 20% depreciation? Good enough to ruin her Christmas and weekend catch-up with her other girlfriends

She needs to talk to a responsible investment guy from Ameritrade or whatever, someone old, an oldtimer, not some moronic college kid, and that's the best option available. Possibly, he will direct her to some T-bill investment, bonds or ETFs. These entities are safer and more protected than equities and equity-only funds. Where's mathjak when you need him.

GBH, yeah, you heard me, be careful with your money. There's immense pain and misery in the market right now.
I don't spend alot of time on my investments like you may think. I spend way too much time arguing against stockpickers though.....

Again, INVESTING is a long term decision. You should NOT make a decision to be say 20 or 30% in equities because someone perceives equities are "getting slaughtered". A small percentage of her portfolio allocated towards equities might be appropriate over the long term. It all depends on what her true need, willingness, & ability to take on risk.

All I'm saying is to take A LITTLE time and ask questions of people who understand long term disciplined investing (unlike many on this board).

Going to a site like bogleheads.org won't hurt. At worst it will help....much better than here. She can see how far she wants to go after seeing some of the responses of those people...that's all...

Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
You get back what you put in. If you don't care, do you honestly expect some commission paid asshat in a suit? Say goodbye to your money. There are no sure fire investments anymore. Go the 1% savings account route or just blow it all on prostitutes!
The problem w/commission based salespeople is that they unfortunately do not put your interests first and foremost. If you are not careful, you are put into products w/high fees that generate the most commission.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone...

Few question that you would need to provide answers to before people give you advice are

Do you need cash flow from the money, or is this something you can lock away for future retirement?
How long after you invest will you need access to the money, and how liquid does it need to be?
What percentage of your assets or income if you want income from it, will this represent?

Without knowing this information, I wouldnt take any advice seriously because their suggestions might be for their situation, not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing