Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Well, that didn't last long. Billionaire investor and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has dumped his Facebook stock less than a month after he gobbled up 150,000 shares in three separate 50,000-share purchases — the first at $33, the second at $31.97, and the last at $32.50. "I took my hit, my thesis was wrong," conceded Cuban. "I thought we'd get a quick bounce just with some excitement about the stock." Cuban likened the transaction to trading baseball cards. "It was gambling money, to be honest with you," he said. Facebook today closed at $31.41, down about 17 percent from its $38 IPO price.

Billionaire Mark Cuban dumps Facebook stock after a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Well, that didn't last long. Billionaire investor and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has dumped his Facebook stock less than a month after he gobbled up 150,000 shares in three separate 50,000-share purchases — the first at $33, the second at $31.97, and the last at $32.50. "I took my hit, my thesis was wrong," conceded Cuban. "I thought we'd get a quick bounce just with some excitement about the stock." Cuban likened the transaction to trading baseball cards. "It was gambling money, to be honest with you," he said. Facebook today closed at $31.41, down about 17 percent from its $38 IPO price.

Billionaire Mark Cuban dumps Facebook stock after a month
I'm surprised someone had the balls to admit this.....

Small time individuals think they know how to predict future short term fluctuations but they don't.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I like how at the end he says if Facebook hadn't sold more shares it would be worth $200/share... as if if they had sold fewer shares the IPO price wouldn't have been higher.

Mark Cuban Sells Facebook Stake; 'It was Gambling Money' - MarketBeat - WSJ

He was betting on the pent-up demand present in IPOs. He references LNKD. Honestly, I find it hilarious. We regularly people don't have access to IPO pricing, so it's irrelevant what the IPO price is. LNKD was grossly undervalued, opened at $80 from $45. Apparently, douche bag Cuban thinks his money entitles him to buy unfairly valued companies and screw the people that actually add value so he can profit off a guaranteed short-term gain when the under priced IPO shoots from $45 to $80 in a day. Ridiculous. And then he blames high-frequency day traders for his losses.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM

629 posts, read 1,720,638 times
To be fair, the article seems to indicate that he didn't get any sort of special IPO pricing, it indicates that he bought Facebook on the open market AFTER it began trading.

"....less than a month after initially disclosing he had built a position in the company following its bungled initial public offering."

He was just a trader gambling on a short-term pop and he lost. No 'special rules for rich people' stuff going on here at all. It's only news because his short term trades are much larger than ours and he has easy media access whenever he wants to talk about something.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
mark cuban is possibly the luckiest billionaire on earth. good for him that he got lucky, but i wouldnt value his advice too highly.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:10 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Ah, okay looks like he got in at around $31-33 instead of IPO pricing at $38.

Quote:
5. And in the interest of disclosure I bought 150k shares of FB. 50k shares at 33, 50k shares at 31.97 and 50k shares around 32.50. Its a trade, not an investment. Kind of like buying a Mickey Mantle, a Hank Aaron and a Barry Bonds Rookie Card knowing there is a card show in town next week
Facebook IPO Post Mortem – Killer – but not for the reasons you think ! « blog maverick

I don't think much of his analysis. He might buy based purely on emotion, but that's not how most people invest. But as he says, he's wasn't an investor but a trader. Traders (day, high-volume types) make up about 15-20% of the volume, the other 80-85% is made of investors who do look at fundamentals. That's why I stuck the hell the way from Facebook and Linked In. There's also Pandora, which has disclosed it makes way more on mobile advertising than computer. I suspect that's because people inadvertently click on the ads (I know I do) on their smart phones but not on the computer. Advertisers might eventually catch on to that, but it's mostly pay per click still.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
mark cuban is possibly the luckiest billionaire on earth. good for him that he got lucky, but i wouldnt value his advice too highly.
I agree 101% with that statement.

$5.5 billion for Broadcast.com turned out to be one of the worst deals Yahoo has done. Similar to MSFT was planning to pay $45 billion cash for Yahoo, but Jerry Young was just little more greedier than Mark Cuban, and you see the result.

Mark Cuban got average talent with billion dollars in the bank.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
People confuse popularity with profitability. There are not the same.

People confuse revenues with profits. They are not the same.

Everything old comes back again. We just went through this in 99-00. Will people ever learn. And I'll repeat:

People confuse popularity with profitability. There are not the same.

People confuse revenues with profits. They are not the same.

FaceBook is nothing more than a long term fad. Bank on it (no pun intended)

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Not everyone understand the power of facebook. But as someone in the space, here's another fact to think about.

"35% of the top 10,000 websites in the world has integrated FaceBook widgets."

Facebook is more than facebook.com, it's an entire social media ecosystem. It's just missing that perfect revenue generation at the present time.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
Not everyone understand the power of facebook. But as someone in the space, here's another fact to think about.

"35% of the top 10,000 websites in the world has integrated FaceBook widgets."

Facebook is more than facebook.com, it's an entire social media ecosystem. It's just missing that perfect revenue generation at the present time.
The business model is the same:
How can we create a platform the attracts lots of interactive users and than sell ad space.

Even if the TOP 35% have intergrated FB widgets, they have coders that can disintegrate when the fad ends.

People run these TOP companies and the people that run them are driven by emotion and hype just like you and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing