Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 PM

10 posts, read 17,187 times

Advertisements

Posted in another forum: Not many answers

Okay so I'm a hispanic female, I have 80k in my savings account at a credit union. Where should I put it in? cds/bonds? Don't know much about mutual funds, money market accounts I should steer away from that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,370,649 times
The first question you have to ask is: what do YOU want to do with it? Save it? Use it as principal for investing for a bigger role? College expenses?

What you want to do with the money will determine what you should do with it.

In other words, if you're gonna use the money in the next 5 years or so, keep it in CDs and money market accounts.

If you're gonna use it in 5-10 years, keep it in conservative investments usually mutual funds in a taxable account.

If you're gonna use it 10-20 years from now, if it's for college for children, keep it in a college savings program. Or you can put it in more risky fund allocations.

Finally, if you're going ot use it 20+ years from now put it in mutual funds with an appropriate risk profile.

CDs and savings accounts will not keep up with inflation, so don't keep it there if you don't have to. But realize that to get higher returns you have to accept more risk. Anyone who claims otherwise has their own personal goals / agendas or believe the kool-aid they drink.

Since I am planning for a family, if I came into 80k right now, I'd set up a college savings account and buy credits to the university system in WA state. No matter when they enter, they will have those credits to pay towards a degree.

OR, if I felt adventurous, I would use that as downpayment on an investment property and rent it. My wife and I won't have much free time raising a family though, so we'd have to give it some thought.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 AM

106,833 posts, read 109,092,448 times
you really should not cross post. all the answers you need are in the other thread you started

Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,029,603 times
Why do we need to know you're a hispanic female?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,674,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochagirl View Post
Posted in another forum: Not many answers

Okay so I'm a hispanic female, I have 80k in my savings account at a credit union. Where should I put it in? cds/bonds? Don't know much about mutual funds, money market accounts I should steer away from that
You don't have to do anything. How are old you? And what are your finical goals?

if you have student loans pay that off. use the cash for buying house.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,831,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
exactly my thought, what does "What should I do with my 80k?" have to do with if you are a hispanic ..

Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,211,194 times
I dont care what race she is as long as the taxes have been paid all legal on that money.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 AM

19,084 posts, read 27,661,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

Ahhh... I am so tempted to say exactly what to do with some of the money for a female.... Then get a nice fat cat husband... Without prenupt.. And then retire early...

No offense. Reality of life.

CD-s at 1.2% return? With 2.5% inflation rate? Is it some sort of joke?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 AM

13 posts, read 17,367 times
Mochagirl, why would you tell us you were hispanic? Im just curious on this because it has no bearing on what you should do with your money.

If you have 80k and you need something to do with it you need to ask yourself a few questions.

Do I own a House?

Basically thats the only question.

You should buy a house! As someone who is a firm believer in making yourself financially stable the first thing you need is a foundation, the foundation of a house and if it is paid for or mostly paid for then thats great!

If you want to invest then you need to realistically think about how much time you are willing to put into managing the money. You can invest in Mutual Funds, max out your Roth IRA, but either way you need to tell us how much time you are realistically going to put into this.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,294,242 times
Send it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing