Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,051,418 times

Advertisements

False. If we look at the support for the boomers parents they paid for and what governamnt has spent they paid for in other areas of governamnt support swince the 60's;its clear that they would be well funded if not for that spending. Goig forward there will not be a bommer generation to fund such support as boomers provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,316,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post
It is not that hard to understand. Imagine the earth as an apple pie. In the last 50 years the population has doubled that means that there are twice as many people fighting for the same pie. There is just not enough resources to continue supporting the living standard we have become accustom too. The sooner people realize this and quit trying to scapegoat each other the soon we can move on to more noble pursuits like colonizing space where there is an infinite amount of resources.
Interesting point. Reminds me of the advertisements for the outer world colony's In the film Blade Runner. "A chance to begin again" but what if this earth is all we have? Is it just possible that one generation felt more entitled for some reason to consume and reproduce more than everyone else?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,580,624 times
None of this occurred deliberately. What did occur deliberately was moving significant numbers of "good" jobs abroad so shareholders would earn more and CEOs would earn a lot more. Our young today do not earn enough never mind to support the boomers. We either solve this corporately or we go under corporately. Personally, I am betting on under.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
None of this occurred deliberately. What did occur deliberately was moving significant numbers of "good" jobs abroad so shareholders would earn more and CEOs would earn a lot more. Our young today do not earn enough never mind to support the boomers. We either solve this corporately or we go under corporately. Personally, I am betting on under.
But who are these people that moved significant numbers of "good" jobs abroad so shareholders would earn more and CEOs would earn a lot more

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM

31,691 posts, read 41,126,622 times
Hard to play Boomers for the budget drain of SS and Medicare since we have just barely begun to draw on them. Gotta look at someone older.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM

45,579 posts, read 60,945,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
But who are these people that moved significant numbers of "good" jobs abroad so shareholders would earn more and CEOs would earn a lot more

That started in the 1950's. Blame the Greatest Generation.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,618,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
True or False? Your opinion?
No. What ate my children's future is that people prefer cheap goods made in China to goods made here (this is true across all the generations living except for what remains of those who lived through the great depression.). Interestingly, my children prefer cheap goods made in China.

It's interesting how things have changed. The reason the Japenese took over the auto market is they made cars that last while we made cars that were flashy but intended to be replaced every few years. Back then you bought things like clothing to last. Now we buy cars designed to last 12-15 years (but lease them for only 2-3 so we can have a newer flashier one sooner) and buy cheap clothes made in China and Indonesia that we wear twice and toss.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,618,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Actually, that's not why they did it. They did it for two reasons. 1) Americans demanded cheaper and cheaper products and labor is cheaper abroad. 2) by moving abroad, they would employ locals and, literally, create an emerging market for their products.

There's a saying: Be careful what you wish for because you might get it. We wished for cheap goods and we got them. Now we have to live with the repercussions of that folly. We now have lots and lots of cheap goods we can buy but no jobs to earn money to buy them with.

Given we now operate in a global economy, things won't change any time soon. What is going to happen is every nation is going to have about the same standard of living. So average the standard of living worldwide... In other words, get ready to down size BIG TIME. The industries that are coming back to our shores are purchasing robots over hiring people so even if we demanded goods made here, the impact will be minimal now (it's still worth it but it won't bring us back to where we were. We threw that baby out with the bath water.).

The name of the game has changed. We will work until we drop because many in my generation will not be able to retire. If we had any brains we'd embrace the multi generational household where each generation works towards improving the family situation but we value independence and individuality too much to do that. That could actually be our solution. Go back to the days when the older generation took care of the kids while the generation in the middle worked to support the family. With grandma and grandpa living with the kids, they don't spend the money they have on senior housing so something just might be left for the kids to inherit.

We need to accept that the American dream is dead. It died when the economy went global. We now have to figure out how to live more frugally but if we work to pull each other through we may find we are richer in other ways.

I for one dread the day I'm useless. I keep telling my youngest daughter that if she doesn't have MIL quarters on her house, I'm building them. I don't want to end up alone and I'd love to take care of her kids while she works. I'd love to make sure what I've worked for is inherited by her and her sister and not spent on a senior apartment. I'd love to know my grand kids. I'd love to be surrounded by family until the day I die, if possible. But our society sees this desire as selfish...

Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No. What ate my children's future is that people prefer cheap goods made in China to goods made here (this is true across all the generations living except for what remains of those who lived through the great depression.). Interestingly, my children prefer cheap goods made in China.

It's interesting how things have changed. The reason the Japenese took over the auto market is they made cars that last while we made cars that were flashy but intended to be replaced every few years. Back then you bought things like clothing to last. Now we buy cars designed to last 12-15 years (but lease them for only 2-3 so we can have a newer flashier one sooner) and buy cheap clothes made in China and Indonesia that we wear twice and toss.
This I have noticed a lot lately. All generations eating up China made products. I have new found respect for Ford auto. They are making new sturdy reliable cars built to last.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,014,593 times
True. We're committing genocide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing