Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 PM

20 posts, read 57,998 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am newbie. I want to start buying mutual fund for long term investment.

I know it is hard to recommend which fund is good but I need to get some feedback of what I choose.

I want to buy 2 Large cap growth,2 mid cap growth, 2 small cap growth and 2 international.

So far I chose

Matthews Pacific Tiger investor-MAPTX

Matthews Asian Growth & Income-MACSX

T.Rowe Price Health Sciences-PRHSX

T.Rowe Price New Horizon-PRNHX

Touch Sands Capital Select Growth Z- PTSGX

Fidelity Small Cap Discovery- FSCRX

T.Rowe Price Media & Telecommunications- PRMTX

I chose these only based on morning star rating but I am not sure I chose right one.

Please tell me what you think about these funds.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 PM

30,909 posts, read 37,051,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy0128 View Post
Hi

I know it is hard to recommend which fund is good but I need to get some feedback of what I choose.

I want to buy 2 Large cap growth,2 mid cap growth, 2 small cap growth and 2 international.

So far I chose

I chose these only based on morning star rating but I am not sure I chose right one.

thanks.
I think the T. Rowe Pirce Media & Telecommnications PRMTX and T. Rowe Price Health Sciences PRHSX don't fit what you say you want. They are specialized funds. Not that they're bad...but they don't match up with what you say you want. It's the same deal with the Matthews funds...they invest all or mostly in Asian companies...not diversified.

Also, those are all really aggressive funds. They have good performance, but most people can't handle the volatility of those kinds of funds...so they buy and sell these funds at the worst possible times (they buy high and sell low). Maybe you are the exception...the problem is everyone thinks they're the exception when they're not.

In general, I just think your portfolio is badly constructed. Too many overspecialized funds, and too volatile.

Personally, I think you'd be much better off with something like T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation PRWCX (a balanced fund that has done better than most stock funds over the last 15 years). If you like small cap...T. Rowe Price Small Cap Value PRSVX is also good with lower volatility ..although I will concede their New Horizon fund is a good fund.

For international I like Dodge & Cox International Stock (DODFX). It had a terrible year in 2008 but otherwise has a great long term track record and low expenses (.64%).

Given your tastes, I'd say you could construct a good portfolio with fewer funds:

T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation PRWCX: 70%
Dodge and Cox International Stock DODFX: 20%
T. Rowe Price Small Cap Value PRSVX (or New Horizon PRHNX...your choice): 10%

Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,676,449 times
Quote:
Hi

So far I chose

thanks.
Hello,

Buy index funds as the cost is less. You can buy one index fund at Vanguard and be done. The Total Stock Market Index fund. You can buy a Total Bond Market Index fund as well. Two funds, nice and easy and low cost.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 AM

107,022 posts, read 109,313,415 times
becareful thinking you have a diversified mix with a total market fund. what you really get is a fund dominated by over 80% by what the s&p 500 does.

there really is not much weight in the rest of the markets to amount to a hill of beans..

you my be better off buying an s&p 500 fund and then season to taste with a wilshire 4500 fund . that is the rest of the market less the s&p 500.

at least you can control the weights in the big caps vs the rest .

where goes apple and google goes the nasdaq index so you may want to put less weight on the whims of a few companies at times.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-10-2013 at 04:53 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM

I want to pick the funds what Dave Ramsey recommends .

As far as I understood, he recommends 25% Large Cap Growth, 25% Mid cap Growth, 25% Small Cap Growth and 25% international.

He did not recommed Bond funds. Can you suggest the best fund options within that categories based on the long term perfomance??

thanks...

Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM

6,612 posts, read 7,113,868 times
Quote:

As far as I understood, he recommends 25% Large Cap Growth, 25% Mid cap Growth, 25% Small Cap Growth and 25% international.

He did not recommed Bond funds. Can you suggest the best fund options within that categories based on the long term perfomance??

thanks...
I personally think that is a long term strategy you have there. I might not go with an equal share in each. I like small caps and mid caps more. International is a higher risk and therefore has more earning potential as well as the loss potential so I would put less there. Large caps are over valued and I am not a big fan of them. Still this is my opinion.

Were you looking for fund families? Particular funds? If you are looking long term then bonds are not for you.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM

I want to pick the best one available. What is your favorite funds in each categories?

I picked lists of funds so far below but some are sector funds because I could not find good ones for Large Cap Growth and Mid Cap Growth. I want to invest in Roth IRA. I agree that the international ones I chose were not speaded out much. So if you know better international funds than I chose then please share your idea.

So far I chose

thanks..

Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,750,894 times
Quote:

thanks...
I would not recommend 100% equities because most people would bail if we had another market correction like we did in 08-09....

Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I want to pick the best one available. What is your favorite funds in each categories?

I picked lists of funds so far below but some are sector funds because I could not find good ones for Large Cap Growth and Mid Cap Growth. I want to invest in Roth IRA. I agree that the international ones I chose were not speaded out much. So if you know better international funds than I chose then please share your idea.

So far I chose

thanks..
Let's start with ones I do not think are good.

PRMTX too specialized. Especially if you are just starting. You need a balanced

PTSGX not a good performer and over priced

PRNHX not a good performer

PRMTX not a good performer and over priced

FSCRX Okay reasonable price. It would be good provided the operating costs are low.

PTSGX Okay reasonable price.

MACBX and MAPTX are good. CBX is a lower cost per share. Both have decent track records over the last couple of years.

My opinion pick one of those MACBX or MAPTX and go in for about 10 to 20%. The other two I say are okay could give you steady growth.

It is quite interesting that all of the ones you have are listed NASDAQ. Are those the only funds you have available? Is this your first time in the market? You never answered any of those questions. Those are very important questions. You need to remain balanced in your investing. Not being balanced and diverse will affect your overall performance.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I would not recommend 100% equities because most people would bail if we had another market correction like we did in 08-09....

It really depends on what else he has. Also how long he has for investing. Honestly if he is 45 years old he is going to need to be agressive. If he is in his 20's or early 30's that gives equities a good bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing