Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,302,171 times

Advertisements

I don't want to go into details about specifics in regards to the actual name of the company because I have friends that have a vested interest in them, but why is it that some companies have a criminal level of operations revenue, but have a market value in the 10s of millions of dollars?

I've seen multiple marijuana related stocks that have a massive market value, but they have minimal to no profits, and they absorb huge defecits every quarter, while their administrative costs continue to rise.

Just, what the hell is it that they are doing? Where did the money go? How are they not in prison?

Some of these people seem like they need a serious ass beating, and it makes me feel sorry for this country when people can get away with this type of criminal activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM

24,409 posts, read 27,001,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I don't want to go into details about specifics in regards to the actual name of the company because I have friends that have a vested interest in them, but why is it that some companies have a criminal level of operations revenue, but have a market value in the 10s of millions of dollars?

I've seen multiple marijuana related stocks that have a massive market value, but they have minimal to no profits, and they absorb huge defecits every quarter, while their administrative costs continue to rise.

Just, what the hell is it that they are doing? Where did the money go? How are they not in prison?

Some of these people seem like they need a serious ass beating, and it makes me feel sorry for this country when people can get away with this type of criminal activity.
Are you saying how can a company be worth millions and make no money? There are many companies that lose money, yet are worth millions and even billions. What's criminal about that?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Are you saying how can a company be worth millions and make no money? There are many companies that lose money, yet are worth millions and even billions. What's criminal about that?
Where is the money going? Why are administrative expenses rising when they are losing money?

I always thought the purpose of a company was to make money.

They are not making money, they are stealing money from investors and paying themselves.

That's criminal. It may be legal, but that doesn't mean the people that are doing it aren't theives.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Quote:
Where is the money going? Why are administrative expenses rising when they are losing money?

They are not making money, they are stealing money from investors and paying themselves.

That's criminal. It may be legal, but that doesn't mean the people that are doing it aren't theives.
Research a small company called Amazon. They ran at a loss for six years with a high valuation. There's nothing criminal about it.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Research a small company called Amazon. They ran at a loss for six years with a high valuation. There's nothing criminal about it.
I think this is even permissable by the IRS.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM

500 posts, read 572,516 times
Companies are not valued on current revenue alone. If there is expectation of future growth that often warrants a higher valuation. Many companies with zero profit are valued at millions if not billions of dollars.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 PM

24,409 posts, read 27,001,341 times
Quote:

There is nothing criminal or immoral about it. If your company is losing money and you cut everyone's salary by 50% and stop spending money on administrative expenses, you're highly unlikely to turn around the company. There are so many examples such as Las Vegas Sands, Amazon, or Apple. Running a business is expensive and turn around plans require spending to grow and attract or retain talent.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Sprint is a good current example. They've been losing money for years but their stock price has been going up.

Disclosure: I am long Sprint.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,714,613 times
Investors need to start thinking of themselves as owners of the business, not chicks greedily seeking the worm from mommy.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Investors need to start thinking of themselves as owners of the business, not chicks greedily seeking the worm from mommy.
Look at the company CBIS.

This company has been losing money since 2005, yet somehow it's valued at $60,000,000.

What happened to the money? Where did it go?

Why did they steal it?

It's the management that's greedily seeking money and not doing a damn thing. They are stealing money.

They belong in prison. I can't believe they can look at themselves and justify million dollar salaries despite having a net loss for damn near 10 years.

And while this is going on, administrative costs continue to rise.

That's criminal. They belong in jail. They should at least be sentaced to work in a kitchen and actually work for once in their life.

Cowards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing