Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 AM

72 posts, read 98,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Errrrgh...I'd max out any retirement you can. You're almost throwing money away not to do that.
It not only comes out pre-tax (well, not every vehicle), but the GROWTH is tax-free. That adds up over the years.
My money goes into the 401k pretax....wouldn't it all be taxed coming out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsy1024 View Post
My money goes into the 401k pretax....wouldn't it all be taxed coming out?
What you take out is taxed, yes.
But everything you EARNED in those years is not taxed.
That will not be true of your other investments, which will be subject to taxation simply on what you earn.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,514,122 times
Quote:
What you take out is taxed, yes.
But everything you EARNED in those years is not taxed.
That will not be true of your other investments, which will be subject to taxation simply on what you earn.
This sounds wrong to me

If the money goes in pretax, you get the tax benefit NOW, not later, so you pay taxes when you take it out, both the principal and the gains.

If the money goes in posttax, then you don't pay taxes on the gains.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
This sounds wrong to me

If the money goes in pretax, you get the tax benefit NOW, not later, so you pay taxes when you take it out, both the principal and the gains.

this is what I was thinking too....

Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
This sounds wrong to me

You get the tax benefit now as the money goes in pre-tax.
You get the tax benefit all the while (in the sense that it grows and grows tax-deferred).
Nobody pays on the gains of their 401k while it's growing in the account.
You then pay taxes on the amount you withdraw later.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM

879 posts, read 1,964,867 times
Quote:
Errrrgh...I'd max out any retirement you can. You're almost throwing money away not to do that.
It not only comes out pre-tax (well, not every vehicle), but the GROWTH is tax-free. That adds up over the years.
The growth is not tax-free, it's tax-deferred, meaning you will owe tax on all growth when you eventually take withdrawals.

Only in a Roth is the growth tax-free.

I would also disagree with the notion that one is automatically throwing away money by not maxing out "any retirement you can." You ARE throwing away money by not taking full advantage of a COMPANY MATCH on the 401k, but beyond that, not necessarily.

Last edited by LongArm; 02-19-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
invest the extra money in a taxable account. dont put money in a 401k above what the employer will match.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
invest the extra money in a taxable account. dont put money in a 401k above what the employer will match.
Like a general investing account right?

My plan is this now.

Match employer % for 401k
Pay bills (My CC is never high so I dont have to worry about paying off debt with that)
Pay mortgage without paying extra on it early
max out roth ira
keep putting away 400 a month for savings/emergency/money I will need sooner than later
put anything else towards a general investing account

Sound okay?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
The growth is not tax-free, it's tax-deferred, meaning you will owe tax on all growth when you eventually take withdrawals.

Only in a Roth is the growth tax-free.

I would also disagree with the notion that one is automatically throwing away money by not maxing out "any retirement you can." You ARE throwing away money by not taking full advantage of a COMPANY MATCH on the 401k, but beyond that, not necessarily.
Are,we being obtuse on purpose?

Currently I owe taxes every year on the money I make in my investment portfolio.
My 401k grows...any gains there are not taxed.
Big DUH on being taxed as I withdraw it later. No one is arguing that point.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
Quote:
Are,we being obtuse on purpose?

Currently I owe taxes every year on the money I make in my investment portfolio.
My 401k grows...any gains there are not taxed.
Big DUH on being taxed as I withdraw it later. No one is arguing that point.
its a big duh but there you are saying "my 401k grows, any gains arent taxed." its a fake number you are looking at. its artificially bigger because you havent paid the taxes yet, but you will pay them and you will pay them at the income tax rate not the long term capital gains tax rate.

ive had this argument before and for me, the small benefit of the tax deferred investments isnt worth the risk and what you are losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing