Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,101,974 times

Advertisements

OK guys,here's the story.I recently came into a largish( for me) amount of money(300,000).I am only about 5 years from retirement time so I can't afford to be too risky but can't resist trying to put the money to work for a while and add another 10% or so per year to it if possible.

I have a separate retirement account @ Fidelity that I have been contributing to for decades but it only has about $200,000 in it because I have made a lot of stupid investment mistakes ( lol,anyone ever hear of CMGI ?) over the years.It's currently almost entirely in various mutual funds and I think I'm just going to leave it on auto pilot for now.

Question is what to do with this 300,000.Any suggestions about funds I could put it to work in that are pretty conservative but likely to go up by 10% a year or so ? I am also mindful that the market is back to a peak and it could be disastrous to invest it all at once right now.Someone mentioned Vanguard funds but I know nothing about them.

Anyone think I should be ultra conservative and not invest in equities at all even through funds ?

Bond funds ?allocation funds ? Income funds ? Should I seek professional help( other than a shrink)?

Should I spread it around or concentrate it in just a few funds ? My $200,000 retirement fund is spread out in about 15 funds and am not sure if that does anything for me except give me some false sense of extra diversity.Some of them seem to hold some the same stocks as major holdings so not sure about that angle.

Re individual stocks: I have a really good record with picking stocks and a terrible record of selling them.Never seem know when the party is over.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-28-2013 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM

106,893 posts, read 109,156,575 times
i will d/m you. it sounds like you have an uncoordinated hodge podge of stuff. individual stocks are a 3 part deal to get right . buying -selling - and replacing what you sold.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-28-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,104,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
OK guys,here's the story.I recently came into a largish( for me) amount of money(300,000).I am only about 5 years from retirement time so I can't afford to be too risky but can't resist trying to put the money to work for a while and add another 10% or so per year to it if possible.

I have a separate retirement account @ Fidelity that I have been contributing to for decades but it only has about $200,000 in it because I have made a lot of stupid investment mistakes ( lol,anyone ever hear of CMGI ?) over the years.It's currently almost entirely in various mutual funds and I think I'm just going to leave it on auto pilot for now.

Question is what to do with this 300,000.Any suggestions about funds I could put it to work in that are pretty conservative but likely to go up by 10% a year or so ? I am also mindful that the market is back to a peak and it could be disastrous to invest it all at once right now.Someone mentioned Vanguard funds but I know nothing about them.

Anyone think I should be ultra conservative and not invest in equities at all even through funds ?

Bond funds ?allocation funds ? Income funds ? Should I seek professional help( other than a shrink)?

Should I spread it around or concentrate it in just a few funds ? My $200,000 retirement fund is spread out in about 15 funds and am not sure if that does anything for me except give me some false sense of extra diversity.Some of them seem to hold some the same stocks as major holdings so not sure about that angle.

Re individual stocks: I have a really good record with picking stocks and a terrible record of selling them.Never seem know when the party is over.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

As mathjak says you have what appears to be a hodge podge. Pesonally I am with your thoughts on that it gives a false sense of security. Your funds are in many of the same investments.

Vanguard is an excellent management firm and they are beating the competition with lower fees. Does it equate to better earnings? Not necessarily as there are many here who will shoot me for saying so. So do the research. IMHO I like to gather my resources to be managed easier. I would look at Vanguard but that is just me. Here is an interesting link A new 401(k) success formula: Low cost plus advice | Reuters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing