Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 8,259 times

Advertisements

I lived at home while working full time and lived frugally and I was fortunate enough to save up 65k in the process.

I have done CD's and such, but haven't really done anything as far as investing. I'm looking to do so. I have no idea how the stock market works, no idea how real estate investments would work, no idea what else is out there. If you have any advice for a beginnger or could point me in the right direction, It would be much appreciated.

Also interested in hearing your stories as well if you care to share.

Other info: I have no debt. My mom lost her job and I'm currently paying her mortgage and everything else right now, so I'm sort of looking for a way to help her out through profits from investing.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
If you are currently using and needing that 65k keep it in cash and wait for her to find a new job.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks for your reply long101.

I'm not using the 65k to help out my mom...well, very little of it. I'm living with her at the moment, I still work full-time and my check covers the basics and thats all we have right now.

I'm looking to potentially make my money grow since the 65k is just sitting around. and was thinking maybe itll help cushion our circumstances right now. Low to medium risk investments...

Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM

748 posts, read 820,446 times
Invest in knowledge, not so much assets at this point. Learn the fundamentals of value investing, and maybe real estate as well. You will never be successful long term taking investment advise from others.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Invest in knowledge, not so much assets at this point. Learn the fundamentals of value investing, and maybe real estate as well. You will never be successful long term taking investment advise from others.
Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of that. However, I'm completely new, and don't know where to start, so I wanted advice on where to begin/things beginners should know etc from the more experienced people.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM

38 posts, read 75,131 times
I would wait for a pullback on the markets, since they are showing signs of exhaustion at this point. Follow the markets on Google Finance, market watch, etc, and wait until you see back-to-back red days. Wait for these to be over, and when you see about two green days in a row, get 40k out of the 65k and divide it between index ETFs and Dividend-paying ETFs. You could get the following:

QQQ
SPY
JNK (once it pulls back)
MORT (after a pullback)

Avoid investing in individual stocks. Avoid trading too much. Don't panic.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 9,444 times
I am much older, but recently have been trying to educate myself. I found the below usefull if you want to spend time going through them.

Video:Bogleheads® investment philosophy - Bogleheads

Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads

Bogleheads • View forum - Investing - Help with Personal Investments

Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briang_g View Post
I am much older, but recently have been trying to educate myself. I found the below usefull if you want to spend time going through them.

Video:Bogleheads® investment philosophy - Bogleheads

Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads

Bogleheads • View forum - Investing - Help with Personal Investments
I agree!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM

61 posts, read 88,391 times
What is wrong with a Vanguard fund like this one?

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares: MUTF:VTSAX quotes & news - Google Finance

Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
Before you commit any money, educate yourself first. Read "The Bogleheads Guide to Investing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing