Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 02:25 PM

11 posts, read 21,573 times

Advertisements

I currently have a Roth IRA retirement account, along with a single account, both at Edward Jones. Both accounts have mutual funds (originally suggested by the EJ broker) and stocks (that I started purchasing myself.) I am now looking to switch to some other service that would allow me to personally manage my investments. Here are the main reasons why I'm switching away from EJ:

1. High commission rates: $50 + other fees per trade.

2. Constant pushing of loaded mutual funds by the broker. If I don't do anything for a couple of months he'd call me and start pushing me to sell and then buy whatever makes his commission money.

3. No easy online access to check your account, or do trades. EJ broker says that I need to call him in person to ask a question or do a trade -- no email or text message support. I'd prefer to have an app on my iPhone to do all this on-the-go.

Any suggestions on what service would be good for me? Especially if you base it on your experience.

Thank you in advance!

PS. I am 35. I have around $30K in my Roth IRA and around $40K in my single account at EJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 03:27 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Fidelity.

Or Schwab.

I've been using Fidelity for years. They are over-the-top helpful, especially the CFP I work with at the investor center. Not just "no pressure" but not even a hint of directing us toward Fidelity's funds except when we realize ourselves it is the right way to go. I have their Cash Management Account too, with an excellent Bill Pay feature. Their Full View isn't quite Mint.com, but it is getting there, and about to get a lot better. And their Retirement planner is the most well-regarded one on the web.

My colleague uses Schwab and we've compared notes. Same story there.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:08 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,641 times
Vanguard. Lowest mutual fund fees.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2000 View Post
1. High commission rates: $50 + other fees per trade.

2. Constant pushing of loaded mutual funds by the broker. If I don't do anything for a couple of months he'd call me and start pushing me to sell and then buy whatever makes his commission money.

3. No easy online access to check your account, or do trades. EJ broker says that I need to call him in person to ask a question or do a trade -- no email or text message support.
I would recommend reading up on the differences between full service brokerages (like Edward Jones) and discount brokerages. Then go with one of the latter.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 AM

11 posts, read 21,573 times
@LongArm: Do you have any links to where I can learn that?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Vanguard. Lowest mutual fund fees.
I second Vanguard. Plus if it's more than 10k in a fund, you qualify for admiral shares that have an even lower expense ratio.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Their Full View isn't quite Mint.com, but it is getting there, and about to get a lot better. And their Retirement planner is the most well-regarded one on the web.
ive been using mint a couple of years now. i didnt know full view existed. i recently started up full view and put in my accounts. im interested in it since i already use fidelity and i love their personal rate of return feature. however, it isnt as good as mint at this point. where did you see that it will be getting a lot better?

Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2000 View Post
@LongArm: Do you have any links to where I can learn that?
A Google search for "full service broker vs discount broker" (without the quotes) will bring up several.

Regarding Vanguard and its "low expense ratios/management fees..." you can get Vanguard funds from ANY discount broker, and the aforementioned fees are just as low. The reason you MIGHT want to go with Vanguard's BROKERAGE (Vanguard is also a fund FAMILY from which you can buy the funds directly) is in the case where you know you'll be buying Vanguard funds/ETFs and you'll be able to spare yourself the TRANSACTION fees (when you buy & sell). If you may be buying funds other than Vanguard's, however, another brokerage may have attributes that make it a better fit for you. For example, you may like that Scottrade, which has locations all over the country, has one near YOUR home where you can meet with a rep face to face. Probably not the case with Vanguard which, last I heard, only had about 3 locations. But that's just one example.

Regarding Fidelity and Schwab: These two are considered discount brokers, but with all of the services/extras they offer, they tend to blur the line between "full service" and "discount." That could be a good thing for someone coming from a full-service brokerage, as you sort of have more of what you're used to, but at a lower cost.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:36 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive been using mint a couple of years now. i didnt know full view existed. i recently started up full view and put in my accounts. im interested in it since i already use fidelity and i love their personal rate of return feature. however, it isnt as good as mint at this point. where did you see that it will be getting a lot better?
Coming Soon, the All New Full View
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing