U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:00 PM

832 posts, read 2,452,824 times

Advertisements

Just rolled over a 401K from my former employer into a Rollover-IRA and need to know what do you guys think about the following two stocks at their current price:-

COST, and BRK.B

Do you think they are expensive or priced okay for purchase? Trying to get a hold of a few shares but need to know if the time is right now for the getting a piece of the action? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 05:07 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,751,282 times
I don't own either stock, but they're both good companies. I think they're both priced a little high right now, though.

Berkshire consistantly delivers, but both managers are, well, old, and I haven't heard that anyone is in place to take over, which is always a concern. I don't follow Buffett all that much so maybe there is a plan in place, but Morningstar analysts haven't heard of one either.

Costco is well-run, but there's question about long-term growth, and I think their dividend is a lot lower that I'd hope for. In my mind, I look for either current income--dividends, or long-term growth, and the analysts feel they've pretty well saturated their market.

What type of stocks do you normally invest in--growth, value, small-cap, etc.?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,843,771 times
No need to buy both Costco and BRKB. Berkshire Hathaway holds Costco shares in its portfolio.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I don't own either stock, but they're both good companies. I think they're both priced a little high right now, though.

Berkshire consistantly delivers, but both managers are, well, old, and I haven't heard that anyone is in place to take over, which is always a concern. I don't follow Buffett all that much so maybe there is a plan in place, but Morningstar analysts haven't heard of one either.

Costco is well-run, but there's question about long-term growth, and I think their dividend is a lot lower that I'd hope for. In my mind, I look for either current income--dividends, or long-term growth, and the analysts feel they've pretty well saturated their market.

What type of stocks do you normally invest in--growth, value, small-cap, etc.?
I am not savvy as most in the market or even on this site for that matter but based on what I have purchased in the past, it is usually based on a product that the company sells that I either believe in or know of ... for example, although I sold it long time ago I once owned Cisco because I am an IT guy and know that they are the best at what they do. I own GE because of its diversity and because of the history and products they manufacture such as Airplane engines, appliance, hospital imaging equipment etc. Proctor & Gabble is a stock that deals in household staples and products we all use whether the economy is good or bad.

I need to find a good mutual fund as well that is a good performer and very diverse; any ideas?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,972,083 times
berkshire is made up of a lot of companies and buffet has people in place who will continue to run the fund well when he dies
costco is just one company
i prefer to be diversified and would go with brk which as someone else mentioned owns some costco

Old 08-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
berkshire is made up of a lot of companies and buffet has people in place who will continue to run the fund well when he dies
costco is just one company
i prefer to be diversified and would go with brk which as someone else mentioned owns some costco
The one drawback to BRK.B is the fact that it does not pay a dividend despite the fact that most of the stocks it purchases does. What do you think?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:42 PM

879 posts, read 1,862,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
The one drawback to BRK.B is the fact that it does not pay a dividend despite the fact that most of the stocks it purchases does. What do you think?
That's only a drawback if 1) you need income, or 2) you don't think Berkshire can find a better use for its cash than to pay it out to shareholders.

Last edited by LongArm; 08-21-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
That's only a drawback if 1) you need income, or 2) you don't think Berkshire can find a better use for its cash than to pay it out to shareholders.
Hmmm .... I guess you have a point there, never thought of it that way, but I guess I could always use some income.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM

23,352 posts, read 22,726,198 times
both are good long term. if your outlook is long term then buy now. there is no point in trying to time the market unless you only plan to hold for 0-30 days.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
both are good long term. if your outlook is long term then buy now. there is no point in trying to time the market unless you only plan to hold for 0-30 days.
Good point .. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing