Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I received 2 calls and today another on about the safety of AIG IRA Annuities.

I'm kind of the go to person for a number of Seniors living on fixed incomes... three have all of their retirement funds in AIG IRAs paying 3 to 4%. Amounts range from 40k to 130k... basically their life savings.

I'm great at fixing things, helping someone buy a car, Real Estate and Consumer Issues...but, I don't know enough about IRA annuities to give sound advice to anyone.

So... what is the likelihood of these Annuities becoming worthless?

They all bought back in the 90's on the advice of Bank Investment Counselors as being super safe and highly rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 11,733 times
Please forward any info on this .

Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 AM

879 posts, read 1,961,945 times
It's a popular question these days.

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...rouble-my.html

Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
They were good investments in the early 90's (I was offered some but declined) but are much less so now. I hate to say it but why did these people trust enough to put all their money in one AIG basket? This is why we have a social security system.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
I kind have been wondering kind of the same thing. I have an annuity through AIG Valic. I have been paying into it since about 1994. If I meet with my "advisor" (who I haven't spoken to in four years), I don't think she will be very impartial. By that I mean I am sure I will get the "everything is ok, stick with it" line no matter what. Not that I get much advice anyhow. It was always, "I can't tell you...read the prospectus". Neither my wife or I can make heads or tails of that. We basically chose three funds and went with them. Is it possible to find an independent advisor who can look at our statements and give us advice on what to keep, change, etc? How would one go about finding someone to do that?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 AM

I figure retirement annuities in AIG are just about a safe as tap dancing in a minefield. It is not weather they will become worthless but when.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I figure retirement annuities in AIG are just about a safe as tap dancing in a minefield. It is not weather they will become worthless but when.
That is what I am wondering. Of course, the AIG rep would tell me otherwise. That's is why we are thinking about getting some independent advice on what to do with it, if anything. Just don't know how to go about finding someone to do that.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 11,237 times
I am in the same boat. I will retire in 1 1/2 years and have a lot of my retirement in an AIG fixed annuity (403b). I did find that all states have a guarantee fund that works like FDIC for life insurance and annuities. Most states guarantee up to $100,000 though some like New York guarantee up to $500,000. Problem is I have over $100,000 so the amount above that is not guaranteed. I understand from everything I am reading and people I am talking to that AIG Retirement (formerly VALIC) is solvent and safe. Most think the insurance/retirement parts of AIG will end up being sold with no loss to investors.

At least that is what I am going on at this time. If I try to move my money I will pay a penalty for early withdrawal and/or taxes. Plus according to my annuity contract I can only rollover 20% a year which further limits my flexibility.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Rock meet hard place. Be glad some is guaranteed. My sympathy for what that is worth.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM

879 posts, read 1,961,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I kind have been wondering kind of the same thing. I have an annuity through AIG Valic. I have been paying into it since about 1994. If I meet with my "advisor" (who I haven't spoken to in four years), I don't think she will be very impartial. By that I mean I am sure I will get the "everything is ok, stick with it" line no matter what. Not that I get much advice anyhow. It was always, "I can't tell you...read the prospectus". Neither my wife or I can make heads or tails of that. We basically chose three funds and went with them. Is it possible to find an independent advisor who can look at our statements and give us advice on what to keep, change, etc? How would one go about finding someone to do that?
I'd suggest setting up an apointment with a fee-only planner/advisor for unbiased guidance on your investments. You can start your search here:

Home Page - NAPFA - The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors

As for the question of whether your annuity will become worthless, like I said in the thread I linked to earlier, if it's a variable annuity, that's not likely to happen. That money's yours and is kept separate from AIG's assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsurfer
Plus according to my annuity contract I can only rollover 20% a year which further limits my flexibility.
Ah yes, one of the many wonderful "gotchas" of annuities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing