Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 AM

329 posts, read 460,871 times

Advertisements

I m new to bitcoin really. Just opened a wallet 3 days ago and try to get some people to send me some money for fun.

So what do you get? A line of code?

What I do with that? Use crypto and send the crypted file to Dropbox or Google drive.?

I don't really understand because I have no money in bitcoin.

Can u just print your money on paper and keep the paper in a safe place?

Is it easy to convert from bitcoin to $?

Is it anonym? On line people say to change email frequently.

And is it worth to Invest.?

Can I become a miner? And get some bitcoin with my laptop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,464,969 times
The best thing to do is to take all of your saved up money and invest it in a bitcoin exchange. Just buy bitcoins like you would a stock at a discount broker. I think you can just print a copy that includes your account number and balance (coins and value) to put in a physical safe deposit box or home fire safe and it will be backed up.

It's easy to convert bitcoin into anything you desire.

You should buy now before they go even higher, they can only go up with political instability.

Mining is hard now since all the easy code has been mined, but bitcoin is at a minimum to buy into with cash. Especially with US dollars.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:54 AM

I will not invest all my saved money.... But will consider to buy a few coin...should I pay tax on this...? . ;-)

Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
I will not invest all my saved money.... But will consider to buy a few coin...should I pay tax on this...? . ;-)
You should invest what you feel is necessary in case of government confiscation or economic strife.

That's why you left the US right, and Europe, is because you think their economies are in a lot of trouble? If I thought the market was about to collapse globally I would diversify my savings into good chunks in many different places that might survive. Much more than a few coins. Unless you don't really believe it, or you are not as wealthy as you like to champion.

There is no taxing entity on Bitcoins, so it's tax free to buy and sell them.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:35 AM

Bitcoin is new to me. I don't think my bank will invest in bitcoin for me.
Should I ask them?

Old 11-24-2013, 12:01 PM

21,165 posts, read 19,761,393 times
[I'm not an expert.]

I don't think it's something you invest in; I think it's more of an alternate form of exchange currency.

It sounds like a scam to me, especially the part about them being created by the solving of complex mathematical computations.

On the other hand, there used to be a similar alternative currency system where I live (not sure if it is still around, it was called "Metro Dollars" I think). Basically business would buy products and services from each other using these Metro Dollars. Since it was all "off the books" they avoided paying taxes on all transactions. It worked basically like a credit system, there were no actual Metro Dollars.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 PM

Problem due to his high volatility, it s too risky to invest. you can win but you can lose too.
and I have read many have seen their wallet stolen online with no way to get their money back.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Problem due to his high volatility, it s too risky to invest. you can win but you can lose too.
Sounds like every investment I have ever made. You can always win, and you can always lose. That's why it isn't insured. If you want that go to the US and get a savings account.

Without the risk of the investment going down, there will be no chance the investment will go up.

Quote:
and I have read many have seen their wallet stolen online with no way to get their money back.
People can get their money stolen, their identity stolen, their account ID's/passwords stolen with no way to get the money back...why is it different with Bitcoin?

Things get stolen if you are not careful. That is life. Why is it okay with your dividend income from US stocks, but not okay with Bitcoin?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,487,022 times
It's amazing how much this has increased. I've been reading tons about it in mainstream publications starting recently.

EmeraldCityWanderer..are you really all in in Bitcoin?

I've heard people say it could go to $1million...today it hit $1000..

It's already gone up like 60x this year alone and some people got in early years ago for practically nothing... like 20cents each!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,026,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
[I'm not an expert.]

I don't think it's something you invest in; I think it's more of an alternate form of exchange currency.

It sounds like a scam to me, especially the part about them being created by the solving of complex mathematical computations.

On the other hand, there used to be a similar alternative currency system where I live (not sure if it is still around, it was called "Metro Dollars" I think). Basically business would buy products and services from each other using these Metro Dollars. Since it was all "off the books" they avoided paying taxes on all transactions. It worked basically like a credit system, there were no actual Metro Dollars.
It's gambling, not investing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing