Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Major Drop coming. Sell all Equities.
I don't know if there is a major drop coming. But I think your right to sell all. Reaching all time highs again and again for a year or more is usually a sign to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I don't know if there is a major drop coming. But I think your right to sell all. Reaching all time highs again and again for a year or more is usually a sign to get out.
And why is that a sign to get out? The S&P 500 has been going up since its inception so it is only logical that it will currently be at, or near, an all time high.

But, that being said, there is still an argument for getting out of equities. The reason is earnings. Historically, the S&P 500 has had a market valuation of about 16-17 times earnings. But we are currently over 20. That means that stocks are largely inflated in value. It is doubtful that this market valuation can be sustained.

But the question is, will the market take a downturn to get the P/E ratio back on track, or will it just languish to let earnings catch up?

And if you exit now, what will you get into? Interest rates make bonds unattractive, and besides interest rates will likely rise as the Fed backs off on QE.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think if one looks the money is not in markets alone. Certainly a lot of money is so called o sidelines now days. I believe many fear what happened in the 70's recesss where a entire generation never reentered the markets. With boomers retiring risk for them is more and more off as this recession grows longer. Fixed assets is very popular with those with a lot of cash including corporations rather than investing in their business as they exist.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:34 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
With boomers retiring risk for them is more and more off as this recession grows longer.
What recession? The recession of 2007/2008 ended in 2009.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:45 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Major Drop coming. Sell all Equities.
What happened to your last prediction that everything was going to hit the fan in December 2012?

Oh wait, that didn't happen. Why should anyone believe you now? People who make predictions usually show past performance of their predictions being right. Since this is all you stated, with zero backup, all anyone can go on is the past history of your statements. Like every other statement of economic collapse the last one failed completely.

Also, why should anyone take financial advice of someone who doesn't earn enough to even pay taxes, and has $70k in total assets and owns zero equities? Not to be cruel, live your life how it makes you happy, but one thing people who give financial advice always show is they used their advice to make money. Living on $10k can be impressive if one can cut their costs that much, which might be a good avenue to show how to live on less.

I also question of the judgment of anyone who believes that jet contrails are chemtrails sprayed by the government in a massive conspiracy to manipulate storms in order to kill people. Conspiracy theories that elementary school children can debunk is a sign of needing help. Sorry, provide backup for your opinions and I will show where I disagree with that. Just give your opinion with no backup and that's all I can use to evaluate that judgment.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
What happened to your last prediction that everything was going to hit the fan in December 2012?

Oh wait, that didn't happen. Why should anyone believe you now? People who make predictions usually show past performance of their predictions being right. Since this is all you stated, with zero backup, all anyone can go on is the past history of your statements. Like every other statement of economic collapse the last one failed completely.

Also, why should anyone take financial advice of someone who doesn't earn enough to even pay taxes, and has $70k in total assets and owns zero equities? Not to be cruel, live your life how it makes you happy, but one thing people who give financial advice always show is they used their advice to make money. Living on $10k can be impressive if one can cut their costs that much, which might be a good avenue to show how to live on less.

I also question of the judgment of anyone who believes that jet contrails are chemtrails sprayed by the government in a massive conspiracy to manipulate storms in order to kill people. Conspiracy theories that elementary school children can debunk is a sign of needing help. Sorry, provide backup for your opinions and I will show where I disagree with that. Just give your opinion with no backup and that's all I can use to evaluate that judgment.
I bet people really hate when they get humiliated by their own words.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 PM

24,405 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
I bet people really hate when they get humiliated by their own words.
ahahahahaha... yep!

Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM

106,657 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
And why is that a sign to get out? The S&P 500 has been going up since its inception so it is only logical that it will currently be at, or near, an all time high.

But, that being said, there is still an argument for getting out of equities. The reason is earnings. Historically, the S&P 500 has had a market valuation of about 16-17 times earnings. But we are currently over 20. That means that stocks are largely inflated in value. It is doubtful that this market valuation can be sustained.

But the question is, will the market take a downturn to get the P/E ratio back on track, or will it just languish to let earnings catch up?

And if you exit now, what will you get into? Interest rates make bonds unattractive, and besides interest rates will likely rise as the Fed backs off on QE.
how much would they have left on the table in the 17 year run up from 1987 to 2003? almost 14% a year average for 17 years . right on the heels of the stock market crash of 1987 when it looked like we were headed back to depression levels after losing 26% in one session.

i got in right after the crash in 1987 and was biting my nails the entire time listening to the doomsdayers spew their rhetoric about the bubble we were in..

Old 05-20-2014, 04:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
What recession? The recession of 2007/2008 ended in 2009.
Sorry, but silly thinking like that is only going to result in your being able to retire according to plan

Old 05-20-2014, 06:28 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Volume is a better signal than an all time high.

IMO: The year of 2014 will go to the bulls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing