Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Seriously? I'm assuming that's in the poshest neighborhood?
I wish. In San Francisco, where the poster is referring to, $1M buys you a fixer upper in a good but not the poshest neighborhood.

Fixer upper in posh neighborhood can sell for close to $2M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:16 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times
The $1,000,000 retiree scenario may sound wishful or farfetched but it really isn't. It will take that much or not more to live a middle-class lifestyle now and in the not to distant future. This doesn't even factor in inflation or future buying power.

Living in California, I often laugh to myself when I think of $1,000,000 as being a lot of money, but actually it isn't.

Younger workers need to start saving and investing now. What's more important than yield or rate of growth is time.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
The $1,000,000 retiree scenario may sound wishful or farfetched but it really isn't. It will take that much or not more to live a middle-class lifestyle now and in the not to distant future. This doesn't even factor in inflation or future buying power.

Living in California, I often laugh to myself when I think of $1,000,000 as being a lot of money, but actually it isn't.

Younger workers need to start saving and investing now. What's more important than yield or rate of growth is time.
Total return and asset allocation.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 PM

93 posts, read 154,065 times
If I had that kind of principal, I would no longer have to take big risk. All I need to do is buy two houses each $500k. Let both houses (don't rent them out, it's big headache) appreciate for about 5% for 10 years and cash them out at the end of the 10th year. Put the proceed in a total bond index fund like Vanguard that earns about 4.5% per year. If I withdraw just $30k/year, I would still have plenty left for my descendents.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my opinion under no circumstances would i ever plunk 1 million bucks in to anything other than a diversified mix of things unless i had a few million and the rest diversified me. betting the ranch on one economic outcome is not a wise thing to do. while i love wellesely it should only be a part of a well constructed portfolio,if rates rise it will lose the luster it had for the last 32 years while we had a bond bull market..

i would not bet heavy on anything to interest rate sensitive since rates are poised to go up ,it is only a question of when.
I think Wellesley is reasonably diversified. Not perfectly so, I'll grant you, but good enough. It held up better than expected during 2013's interest rate hiccup. I do agree, though, that 2 years' worth of cash is prudent and I didn't mention that in my post. Of course, that takes away from yield, but you still need to have at least some.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:26 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
The $1,000,000 retiree scenario may sound wishful or farfetched but it really isn't. It will take that much or not more to live a middle-class lifestyle now and in the not too distant future. This doesn't even factor in inflation or future buying power.

$1M is still more than most people have, even in CA. However, I do agree it provides only a middle class lifestyle in retirement. Depending on where one lives, if one's mortgage is paid off, what age one retires, how much the SS and/or pension check is, and one's medical costs, it can range from a decent, but mundane, retirement, to an upper middle class lifestyle.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 5,755 times
I guess if I had $1 million, I would first get the house in order such as savings, finish paying off debt, have some type of emergency fund. Then when that is all said and done, look into investing further.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:47 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
I thought of that, but it's too much work. Been there done that.

I'm thinking of off loading some RE holdings now while interest rates are still low and the RE market is up.
Only sale price matters though, right?

Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredatwork View Post
If I had that kind of principal, I would no longer have to take big risk. All I need to do is buy two houses each $500k. Let both houses (don't rent them out, it's big headache) appreciate for about 5% for 10 years and cash them out at the end of the 10th year. Put the proceed in a total bond index fund like Vanguard that earns about 4.5% per year. If I withdraw just $30k/year, I would still have plenty left for my descendents.
So you're going to dig into your own pocket for property taxes, maintenance, repairs, insurance?

Seems like a big waste to me. You can get the same growth in mutual funds without those big expenses.

Or at least the second of the houses is a waste - the first one may not be if you live in it instead of paying rent.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
At my age I would get a big bucket and fill it with 1,000 $1,000 bills. I would then take out no more than one per week for the next 20 years. By the time the bucket was empty I would most likely be dead.

Given what I have read about corporate stock buybacks I would avoid a $16,000 equities market like the plague.
You're forgetting INFLATION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing