Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:22 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,456 times

Advertisements

High growth mutual funds are always recommended by Dave Ramsey. Unfortunately, Dave never seems to mention any of his specific favorite high growth mutual funds. Instead, he always asks people to call an ELP. I assume the call to the ELP will generate revenue for Dave Ramsey, which seems to be the motive to not mention any specific high growth mutual funds.

Does anyone have high growth mutual funds that have at least a 10 year track record that they can recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
High growth mutual funds are always recommended by Dave Ramsey. Unfortunately, Dave never seems to mention any of his specific favorite high growth mutual funds. Instead, he always asks people to call an ELP. I assume the call to the ELP will generate revenue for Dave Ramsey, which seems to be the motive to not mention any specific high growth mutual funds.

Does anyone have high growth mutual funds that have at least a 10 year track record that they can recommend?
I'm not sure he does, which is why he doesn't actually name any. He talks as if mutual funds regularly return 12% CAGR. Over the past ten years the S&P had a CAGR of 7.6%, so his funds beat the market by almost 60% over the past ten years and 1-2%/yr over the past 30 years.

I would just invest in an S&P index fund through Vanguard or an ETF like SPY and avoid the high expense ratios that come with actively managed mutual funds.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:36 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,220 times
It has been suggested that he is referring to the Investment Company of America (AIVSX). It claims an annual return of 12.13% since its inception in 1934:

https://www.americanfunds.com/indivi...nts/fund/aivsx

Old 04-09-2015, 07:53 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
It has been suggested that he is referring to the Investment Company of America (AIVSX). It claims an annual return of 12.13% since its inception in 1934:

Is that before or after the expense ratio? Also, don't forget the load fee of 5.75% for American Funds. It would need to beat the market by over 1% each year to catch up and even then it would take about 25 years to break even with an index fund invested in the S&P with an ER of .05-.1% and no load fee.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:04 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Is that before or after the expense ratio? Also, don't forget the load fee of 5.75% for American Funds. It would need to beat the market by over 1% each year to catch up and even then it would take about 25 years to break even with an index fund invested in the S&P with an ER of .05-.1% and no load fee.
I have no idea...I'm not promoting or recommending it, just offering the information. I'm fully in agreement with your suggestion of an S&P 500 index fund...thats exactly where my equities money is.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:40 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

This should help. The funds with the top 10 and 20 year track records are towards the bottom. There are different categories that you can choose in the drop-down menu. Keep in mind of course that past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Top-Performing Mutual Funds by Category-Kiplinger

Old 04-09-2015, 07:06 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:

That fund is ok, but only if you can avoid paying the sales load. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Its performance over the most recent 10, 15, and 20 year periods has been ok, but uninspiring. It certainly hasn't been 12%, although that is true for most funds. But even compared to other stock mutual funds, its returns have been so-so or only a little above average, depending on the time period measured.

Typically, you can avoid the sales load if you get this fund in your 401K. But if you can't, it's not worth it.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I have no idea...I'm not promoting or recommending it, just offering the information. I'm fully in agreement with your suggestion of an S&P 500 index fund...thats exactly where my equities money is.
The returns are shown net of the expense ratio but do not include the sales load.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
This should help. The funds with the top 10 and 20 year track records are towards the bottom. There are different categories that you can choose in the drop-down menu. Keep in mind of course that past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Top-Performing Mutual Funds by Category-Kiplinger
Allow me to narrow this down to top performing no-load mutual funds that have been around at least 20 years and are open to new investors:

Dodge & Cox Stock
Fidelity Contrafund
Mairs & Power Growth
Parnassus Core Equity
Homestead Small Company Stock
T. Rowe Price Value
Amana Growth
FPA Crescent
Mairs & Power Balanced
Dodge & Cox Balanced

Only Mairs & Power Growth has exceeded 12% returns over the past 20 years, although all of them have exceeded 10% over that time frame. The stock market overall just hasn't done that well over the last 2 decades. This tells you how unrealistic it is to expect 12% returns.

Personally, I'd recommend one of the three balanced funds at the end of the list. Balanced funds typically have ~ 1/3 of their assets in bonds and cash. That takes away a little bit from long term returns, but balanced funds typically hold up much better in bad years than funds that are 100% in stocks, so they're much easier to stick with for the long term. The two top performing balanced funds on this list have outpaced a lot of more aggressive funds, as well as beat the S&P 500 Stock index with less volatility.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-09-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 09:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:

The fund you listed has a 10 year annual return of just 6.89%. Nothing special at all.

I don't follow Dave Ramsey, but I have a hard time believing he would recommend any mutual funds with a load nor an expense ratio as high as this one. Terrible choice. No wonder its Morningstar rating is just 3 stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing