Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:18 AM

8,088 posts, read 10,115,011 times

Advertisements

Me?

I 'm not worried. I have "stops" in place.

There is plenty of liquidity...i can sell anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:09 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,308,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
buy and hold with individual stocks is always dicey . one missed earnings report and 20% can disappear in a heart beat. even if you picked what you think is the best company ever you still do not know what the competitors are doing .

all my serious investing is always diversified fnds where buy and hold for you is no problem . analysts and managers make the choices then

even index funds have a manging committee who decide what to buy since funds like total market funds do not actually own everything .

buy and hold only really works on a fund level .
Or an ETF level. Such as VTI, SPY, etc.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:11 AM

107,031 posts, read 109,346,048 times
anything diversified is fine . even enough individual stocks if you can remove individual company risk by owning enough of them .

just market volatility is enough to drive most bonkers . they do not need a 2nd level of risk , namely individual company risk too.

for some that can deal with both it is fine but most of the public can not .

Old 08-20-2015, 11:48 AM

26,199 posts, read 21,675,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
"Buy and hold" produces the best return. In fact, it is the most dangerous investing method to have. Ideally, you should take profit when the shares are irrationally high and cut your loses when it's going down. Yes, it takes some work but in the days of smartphones and discount online brokerage the efforts and costs are not much.
The biggest lies are probably the ones you've told yourself. You convinced yourself that you had a better understanding of the market, equites and some specific companies than you really did. This happens to a lot of people

Old 08-20-2015, 01:11 PM

26,199 posts, read 21,675,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The biggest lies are probably the ones you've told yourself. You convinced yourself that you had a better understanding of the market, equites and some specific companies than you really did. This happens to a lot of people

Well that didn't take long

Quote:
I am impressed by myself!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,886,435 times
Quote:
I own 100 shares of AAPL -- not exactly a speculative or a stupid stock. I wanted to sell when it was like $130ish but this "buy and hold" mantra prevented me from doing so. Now it's under $115. My costs per Apple shares are $107.
In a simple term: if I went with my gut, I would have $2300+ in profit. Now, I have $800 in (paper) profit.
Any investing method that loses 66% of profit is not a sound method.
Thank God I saw THIS!

I am totally convinced by your one bit of anecdotal evidence. It TOTALLY refutes all the data supporting buy and hold strategies.

Thanks MrQ2!

MUST. BECOME. A. QUANT.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:48 PM

107,031 posts, read 109,346,048 times
Quote:
"Buy and hold" produces the best return. In fact, it is the most dangerous investing method to have. Ideally, you should take profit when the shares are irrationally high and cut your loses when it's going down. Yes, it takes some work but in the days of smartphones and discount online brokerage the efforts and costs are not much.
you forgot the first rule of investing

rule #1 -only buy stocks that are going up

rule #2 - if they are going down don't buy them .

Old 08-20-2015, 01:57 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,908,762 times
Quote:
... AAPL ... I wanted to sell when it as like $130ish but this "buy and hold" mantra prevented me from doing so.
How did the mantra prevent you from selling?

I say fook the mantra.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:12 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,860,355 times
Apple will be back at $130ish so what's the problem? Consider the stock on sale. Many good stocks/companies are going on sale. Apple is a very good company and its products are well liked among the masses. If you have a long time horizon than buy more stock and block out all of the distractions.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:16 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,353,198 times
Remember, the only time you lose money is when you execute and sell at a lower price.

Don't allow yourself to get into a position in life where your forced to sell and have to capture a loss.
Historically, time in the stock market is always on your side if you can wait long enough and don't need the money.
The worst that could happen is that your grandkids become filthy rich because you died before your stock was back in the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing