Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,771,508 times

Advertisements

I don't see where he's wrong.

And the people who are offended by this won't see the irony next time they're bleating about 'political correctness these days'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 08:23 PM

128 posts, read 116,179 times
Saw the comments. In terms of trading, Buffett is not nearly the best to follow. He seems to be getting worse with age too. I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of money over the years because they have tried to mirror Buffett with his trades.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,023,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Money View Post
Saw the comments. In terms of trading, Buffett is not nearly the best to follow. He seems to be getting worse with age too. I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of money over the years because they have tried to mirror Buffett with his trades.
Probably because he doesn't trade and doesn't want any of you following him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
It's not offensive, it's honesty. We're just living in an era where we put the military on the pedestal for some reason, give it time and that will change.

The people from my high school class that joined the military are usually those who have no other choice, who have no marketable skills, those that are doomed to a life of nothing from the start.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:02 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,906 times
My response has nothing to do with economics, but provides an anecdote that both counters and supports Buffet's statement. My best friend from high school graduated from the University of California Irvine in Biochemistry. His family had a history of debt and bankruptcy. Right before he went off for college his parents left the country to become missionaries, leaving him with pretty much nothing. Out of nowhere, my friend commits to join the Air Force after graduation and train to become a forensic chemist. He served 3 tours of duty in Afghanistan and 1 in Iraq.

He told me that he felt alone at first because he was 5 years older than most of his military peers in training. Most of his company were from the middle of America and had no idea what they wanted to do for a career or area of advanced study. As the years went on, some of his training buddies thought about going to college but I have no idea if they ever followed through. My friend has been out of the military for 3 years after serving for 8, and is now working for the FBI. He was the absolute last person you would think to join the military. In high school/college, he was a very effeminate, neat freak, who hated sweat, hated sports, and was a big momma's boy.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:11 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Bloomberg content doesn't always make it to the search engines. Go to Bloomberg and look for the video of Buffett with the caption government needs to do more about income inequality (not sure if that's the exact title, but along those lines).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Buffett: Government Should Do More on Income Inequality - Bloomberg Business

It's a shame that people find his comment offensive, yet have no problem with our predatory military recruitment practices that actively seek out people from poor, uneducated backgrounds and sends them off to die just so some political cronies can get rich.

Also, what does this have to do with investing?

I listend to the video and his comments weren't what I'd call offensive and it certainly wasn't directed at veterans, rather it was towards folks that don't have the skill set to advance in a highly skilled economy

Old 09-09-2015, 09:42 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,785,226 times
So as a society, it’s our collective belief that unskilled labor lives are expendable and should be put in harm’s way to protect those that are highly educated and are therefore more valuable. Further, they may as well just stay there because there are no opportunities for them domestically since they have no skills.

He should have just borrowed a line from Judge Smails “the world needs ditch diggers too”

Old 09-09-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
So as a society, it’s our collective belief that unskilled labor lives are expendable and should be put in harm’s way to protect those that are highly educated and are therefore more valuable. Further, they may as well just stay there because there are no opportunities for them domestically since they have no skills.

He should have just borrowed a line from Judge Smails “the world needs ditch diggers too”

Did you listen to the video? Because he even said if all you have the ability to do is clean houses that great. He goes on to say those without marketable skills have he option of going to afganistan because after all when he said "we send them to" we don't actually send anyone as they elect to join the armed forces. Through their service the gain some skills and access to the ability to develops even more. No where didn't he make offensive comments about veterans

Ps we do need ditch diggers too

Old 09-09-2015, 10:01 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,785,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Did you listen to the video?
perhaps you forgot, I was the one who told you how to find the video so you could watch it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
No where didn't he make offensive comments about veterans
Okay

Old 09-09-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
perhaps you forgot, I was the one who told you how to find the video so you could watch it

Okay

I didn't forget clearly as I quoted you in response, but that doesn't mean you watched it. Clearly he made comments about ones ability and if that's it great

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 09-09-2015 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-09-2015, 10:56 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,903,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Money View Post
I'm not saying I like the guy, but 1 share of Berkshire A would have bought about 8.5 "shares" of the DJIA in 2004.

At the depths of the crash in 2008, it bought about 10.

Today, it buys 12. Just owning BRK/A did pretty well.

Source: Stockcharts.com using [BRK/A:$INDU ]

When I graduated HS on the heels of the helicopters leaving Vietnam, I elected not to go into the military like my dad. I think that was a mistake. Many or most service members might not have great job skills, but once they are done, they, no doubt have above average skills.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 09-09-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing