Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have Private Equity investments? How do they perform?

Does anyone work with JP Morgan private bank and having private equity investments through them? Im interested in experiences and thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 01:15 PM

7,460 posts, read 4,704,671 times
Oh nice. An insider trading thread!

Old 12-11-2015, 01:28 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
How someone else's private equity investments perform wouldn't be relevant unless you were investing in the same one.

This thread doesn't at this point have anything to do with insider trading

Old 12-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How someone else's private equity investments perform wouldn't be relevant unless you were investing in the same one.

This thread doesn't at this point have anything to do with insider trading
that would be a good sales tactic for someone trying to sell someone on private equity investments. of course, my dad's salesman tells him that he is getting him in the good ones. ultimately, you cant count on being the lucky one to pick the good ones so you would want to know the experiences of as many people as possible and aggregate performance numbers of the category. if different advisory firms have a better track record, then that is useful information. there has to be an ability to have a discussion on private equity investments among a group of people even if they arent all invested in the same thing.

im open to any somewhat informed input on the subject. it looks to me like a way to make rich people think they are getting in on something special while hitting them up with big fees.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 12-11-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 02:51 PM

106,813 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Fidelity investments has some of the best business analysts around who spend their lives daily looking at private equity deals.

Funds like fidelity blue chip growth and fidelity growth company hold some of these private equity deals.

They just took a 25% write down on snapchat .

Overall they get more right then they get wrong but the risks are high. You need enough money to diversify these deals

Old 12-11-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Fidelity investments has some of the best business analysts around who spend their lives daily looking at private equity deals.

Funds like fidelity blue chip growth and fidelity growth company hold some of these private equity deals.

They just took a 25% write down on snapchat .

Overall they get more right then they get wrong but the risks are high. You need enough money to diversify these deals
so mutual funds can hold private equity investments but its also offered to individual rich people. i wonder if these rich people get the outperformance that they expect.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:05 PM

106,813 posts, read 109,039,935 times
You can google it . There is a site i saw that tracks the private equity deals fidelity holds in a few of its funds.

It shows you how they did. I am on my nook so i can't do links well.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that would be a good sales tactic for someone trying to sell someone on private equity investments. of course, my dad's salesman tells him that he is getting him in the good ones. ultimately, you cant count on being the lucky one to pick the good ones so you would want to know the experiences of as many people as possible and aggregate performance numbers of the category. if different advisory firms have a better track record, then that is useful information. there has to be an ability to have a discussion on private equity investments among a group of people even if they arent all invested in the same thing.

im open to any somewhat informed input on the subject. it looks to me like a way to make rich people think they are getting in on something special while hitting them up with big fees.

What sales tactic are you talking about? You knowing how my private equity investments perform do you no good, is it the same managers, asset class, strategy? You wouldn't know this info so the feedback you are asking for isn't worth much.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What sales tactic are you talking about? You knowing how my private equity investments perform do you no good, is it the same managers, asset class, strategy? You wouldn't know this info so the feedback you are asking for isn't worth much.
the tactic is to push an investment and when someone talks about other experiences you shut that down by suggesting that the only thing that matters is how wonderful this deal is.

me knowing how your private equity investments perform does me plenty good. I want to know about people's experience and performance. if you get a bunch of opinions, you can learn about investing in this type of investment. people may have feelings towards whether or not it was worth investing in private equity, they may have learned something about the fees, etc. etc. etc. there are lots of things people can say even to other people who aren't looking at the same specific deal.

its obvious most people have limited knowledge of this stuff so even if one person just walked through their single experience it could help educate people about it.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the tactic is to push an investment and when someone talks about other experiences you shut that down by suggesting that the only thing that matters is how wonderful this deal is.
I actually said others opinion or results would only matter if you were investing in the same thing with the same people running it. Or realistically a similar product run by the same people. Private equity can cover such a wide range of investment areas that soliciting random performance details is pretty much worthless but it's far from a sales tactic, I didnt suggest you purchase or avoid anything. If you don't understand this very basic concept you probably should stay away from investing in general.

Your solicitation would be pretty similar to saying "anyone have mutual funds? How's the performance?"

Quote:
me knowing how your private equity investments perform does me plenty good.
No it actually does you no good at all. Performance without context is absolutely worthless and that actually could be a sales tactic "hey look how great these private equity deals did" even though they may have nothing to do with the one being sold

Quote:
I want to know about people's experience and performance. if you get a bunch of opinions, you can learn about investing in this type of investment. people may have feelings towards whether or not it was worth investing in private equity, they may have learned something about the fees, etc. etc. etc. there are lots of things people can say even to other people who aren't looking at the same specific deal.

its obvious most people have limited knowledge of this stuff so even if one person just walked through their single experience it could help educate people about it.

Someone's experience? Maybe you do learn something there in terms of functionality but their performance would be highly irrelevant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing