Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
In the Muslim world, their banks are forbidden to pay interest to deposit and charge interest for loans.
The Bank of Qatar pays interest in it savings accounts, and charges interest for its credit cards.

Saving Account - The best savings rates | Commercial Bank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 02:19 PM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
don't you hate when facts blow a great story .we better stop though . if we all keep this positive stuff up , the pessimists are not going to post here and tell us how hurt we have been .

Old 08-30-2016, 02:28 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we don't know what alternatives would have done and just like when you are sick and take medicine ,are you better on your own or because of the medicine ?

quite frankly who cares . the bottom line is compared to the brink of collapse we were on we are a whole lot less bad and that is what counts .

we have folks who even if conditions were better would still be financial failures or not successful regardless .
I don't agree, I think we should care. If people believe QE was helpful, they will accept more and more and more of it. If they are skeptical, maybe voters can somehow restore sanity, although I doubt it.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:33 PM

to be concerned is one thing . to dwell on it , whine about it to each other and just keep rehashing the same old crap does nothing at all but grow stale .

especially when many of us have had no negatives at all for themselves , family and friends . . you have loads of folks who it helped and it will hurt them when things reverse .

like i said , most if not all of those who are unsuccessful financially would likely have been unsuccessful regardless . they would just drift like a cork in water anyway , to where ever life pulls them always being afraid of something . but of course this gives them something to blame it on .

Old 08-30-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
and the negative to date for those of us in the INVESTING FORUM is what ? we are doing well and are financially successful or becoming successful ?

i certainly have no gripes and neither do many here . the problem is you are preaching to the wrong group here . most of us have no ramifications. unless you consider higher net worths , zero percent auto loans , low mortgages, cheap money for investing and for some no rent increases a bad thing to date

i have been investing for 40 years , heard it all from the pessimists over all those years and the trend line is still up decades later with just some speed bumps in the road . ..

the key to success is 4 little words every time . "this too shall pass "

to be honest i think you need a different crowd to talk to about the misery of low rates because i doubt many here are experiencing it . you may have a small group of non investors who tried hiding under a rock and did not heed the feds warning by at least moving to safe secure bonds . but for the most part i don't think many here have had any negative implications from low rates .
Yes some people have done very well, and most members of an investing forum are probably well off. That says nothing whatsoever about the underlying health of the economic system.

The Fed plays dangerous games, they are over-confident. The things they have been doing were never intended, the amount of power they now have was never intended. Everything the Fed is and stands for is about as un-American as anything can be.

Americans are complacent, either because they are well off like some here, or because they do not understand the Fed at all.

Maybe you are successful, and have been for decades, but that says nothing about the future. I do not believe the conspiracy theories, but I do believe that power corrupts. And I believe that central planning can only lead to disasters.

The fact that lots of Americans are doing well makes this problem more insidious. I have done ok, even without investing. I am not complaining because I feel the system screwed me personally. I am complaining because the system is being strangled by corruption, and also by well-meaning arrogant interference.

As far as I know both Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders have concerns about the Fed. The "liberal" left, most of the Democrats, including of course Paul Krugman, see nothing wrong with messing with the complex economic system.

We had 2008 thanks to financial cleverness. More financial cleverness is not the cure. This recovery is taking longer than any other. It might not be a recovery at all, just another artificial temporary bubble.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:42 PM

you don't rule out uncertainty in your planning , you allow for it and you expect it in a good plan . you adjust along the way as the big picture unfolds .

what you don't do is rule out uncertainty or hide under a rock from it .

Old 08-30-2016, 02:43 PM

And by the way, the whole idea of free money and risk-free investments has been around forever. It's like the perpetual motion machine -- someone will always go and try to make one.

Every time clever economists tried to beat the system, it resulted in disaster. But no one seems to learn from history.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:45 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
This video explains it all......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvKjsIxT_8

Old 08-30-2016, 02:45 PM

results in disaster ? for who ?

anyone who exhibited bad investor behavior ? , for those who would never get a decent job in any scenario regardless of events ? for the pessimists who missed out ?

Old 08-30-2016, 02:59 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
results in disaster ? for who ?
This is the same crowd that thinks that the only "real" money is gold, and that the very idea of pegging a currency's exchange-rate to confidence in the underlying economy, is vacuous and inimical to "capitalism". Typically at this point somebody quotes John Pierpont Morgan (out of context, of course), that "gold is money; everything else is debt".

I too believe that hubris and self-styled cleverness are dangerous. But I believe that they're just as dangerous in the private-sector, as in the semi-private (the Fed) or the public (Congress). So what about dispensing with cleverness entirely, and letting the markets sort things out organically? Sounds great, doesn't it? Except when markets go apoplectic and insane....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing