Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 02:21 PM

96 posts, read 84,575 times

Advertisements

If so, I should definitely own Netflix and Amazon. Also, my children and all of their friends are into the Nintendo Switch. Can you buy Nintendo stock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 02:39 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,586,354 times
I think it's one factor of many to consider. Being familiar with what a company does and liking their products or services is useful. Or it can blind you to their poor balance sheet or over inflated stock price.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:25 PM

3,823 posts, read 5,386,608 times
I own shares in some companies whose products are boring, necessary, and cheap because they are not the HOT TOPIC companies, like Amazon, Netflix, and etc. Thus, the P/E ratios are lower than the HOT TOPIC P/E ratios.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:35 PM

3,823 posts, read 5,386,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelSmith View Post
If so, I should definitely own Netflix and Amazon. Also, my children and all of their friends are into the Nintendo Switch. Can you buy Nintendo stock?
Nintendo is listed on the Tokyo stock exchange (TYO). One can buy the ADR version (NTDOY) on the Over The Counter (OTC) "pink sheet" market here in the USA. I own ADRs of two Australian companies and that pathway to ownership (and dividend payments) has worked alright for me.

The closing price on Friday for NTDOY was $48.43. Several research units give it high marks at this time. For example, the Economist Intelligence Unit gives it an 'A' rating.

There are also ETFs that hold NTDOY:
GAMR
IMOM
RFAP
IDMO
JHDG

ADRs are American Depository Receipts. Go and research what those are.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:47 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,117,502 times
Be careful with ADR's that pay a high dividend, or are in countries where you could experience a huge spread in currency yield/conversion.

ADR's are subject to tax (just like dividends), both are subject to both domestic & foreign (will be dependent upon country as to how much).

Old 11-11-2017, 03:48 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,117,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelSmith View Post
I own those, as well as others components of the FAANG (Facebook Apple Amazon Netflix Google) group of stocks. Be aware that they not only fit into your portfolio allocation but your risk profile as well.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:05 PM

748 posts, read 823,656 times
Not really. I own shares in a fast food company which I try to avoid. Also, in a speciality biotech which is working on treatments for those with serious diseases. I'm getting more to the point of investing in companies that people essentially have to buy from for one reason or another, as opposed to discretionary companies.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:13 PM

3,164 posts, read 2,754,561 times
I haven't bought any Boeing aircraft lately, nor do I own an AAPL I-phone. I bank @ WFC but own a bunch of JPM. I don't need PRA's malpractice insurance, but I might buy some if I was a practicing doctor/attorney.

I doubt that I've ever owned any of the products/services that I've owned equity in.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:44 PM

6,660 posts, read 7,406,310 times
Yes, but that is not the reason I invest in them.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:18 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,313,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Not really. I own shares in a fast food company which I try to avoid. Also, in a speciality biotech which is working on treatments for those with serious diseases. I'm getting more to the point of investing in companies that people essentially have to buy from for one reason or another, as opposed to discretionary companies.
Sounds like Mckey D’s ...or as I call it Big M

I actually eat there....I really l8e their coffee and no I don’t own their stock,
should have, it had a nice run.

Own AAPL, AMZN, GOOG, MSFT, BAC, RDS, V and yes use them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing