Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 01:26 PM

37,714 posts, read 46,140,755 times

Advertisements

I was just reading another thread here where someone recommended SPY...and since I am working reducing the extra cash sitting in my core accounts (it's not a huge amount but probably more than it needs to be), I thought I might buy some. Then I started thinking...it's the weekend...probably should wait...and then I googled it. Found this, which basically recommends purchasing on Monday, not first thing.

https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-f...r-sell-an-etf/

What do you experienced investors do? Does it make a difference whether it is a fund, an etf, or a stock?
FWIW, I have never used a "limit order" when I bought things...never really knew enough about it to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 01:46 PM

27,676 posts, read 28,776,586 times
I use market orders mostly and I tend to buy on the open. I know some people use limit orders to get in at a specific price. But it seems like taking a chance to me, because the security might not hit that price. If it doesn't hit, then you lose out on the trade altogether.

Anyway, I don't think it's that big of a deal whether you use market orders or limit orders. It is mostly personal preference.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,638,430 times
SPY is actively traded, there's usually a very small spread between the bid and ask. Unless you want to buy it at a particular price lower than the current price you can probably just use a market order.

Now, if you want someone to pay you to buy SPY from them, you can sell a cash-covered put on SPY. E.g., I see SPY closed at $280.41. You could sell one contract (== 100 shares) on the March 29th put of SPY @$280. The current bid for that put is $3.36 / share. You'd collect $336 - fees, and no matter what happens that money is yours.

If SPY is below $280 / share on March 29th whoever bought the put from you will exercise it and sell you the shares for $28,000.

If SPY is above $280 / share whoever bought it will let it expire worthless. Then you do the same thing again at SPY's then-current price, with a put option that expires on April 26. Eventually SPY will close below the strike price you sold the put at and you'll get the SPY shares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing