Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't think you would have included NUGT today if it was down 15% yesterday and you were using yesterday's opening price. Why would you post your picks two days after your own stated deadline is just suspect. Why would you attempt to gain an advantage is something meaningless? I have no idea but you clearly backdated your picks. My playing or not is irrelevant to your actions
You have too much time on your hands.

I said all along that we would use the prices over the long holiday weekend as our starting point.
Did I get a bit of a break with NUGT on Monday? Damn right I did. In the long run it doesn't mean much. A year from now NUGT could be $1 or it could be $35. Or anywhere in between. Did you notice that I also let one of the other guys into the game and backdated his picks to Jan 3rd opening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 09:47 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
would have a better argument enforcing the jan 2 deadline for picks

not that it matters, this isn't "sold" whenever, it's dragged on for a year so it can go up 1000% then drop to $0 and the pick would still have to be used

Old 01-04-2017, 09:48 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You have too much time on your hands.

I said all along that we would use the prices over the long holiday weekend as our starting point.
Did I get a bit of a break with NUGT on Monday? Damn right I did. In the long run it doesn't mean much. A year from now NUGT could be $1 or it could be $35. Or anywhere in between. Did you notice that I also let one of the other guys into the game and backdated his picks to Jan 3rd opening?
I'm aware of what you said you would do and you did some of it but not all. I also noticed you allowed someone else to post during the first but he didn't have a full day at his disposal either. In the long run it might not mean anything however it's worth noting you waited until the morning of the second day to post your picks one of which you highlighted as good for this game and it just so happens to have posted a nearly double digit gain on the first day of which you were not a participant. You wouldn't have added it if it was down 15% yesterday I'm sure

Old 01-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm aware of what you said you would do and you did some of it but not all. I also noticed you allowed someone else to post during the first but he didn't have a full day at his disposal either. In the long run it might not mean anything however it's worth noting you waited until the morning of the second day to post your picks one of which you highlighted as good for this game and it just so happens to have posted a nearly double digit gain on the first day of which you were not a participant. You wouldn't have added it if it was down 15% yesterday I'm sure
I was going to use NUGT no matter what. Love it's volatility and with gold being down quite a bit, it's a good ticker for this game.
You could have run the game yourself if you don't like things, or you could have at least given the board the benefit of your stock knowledge by making some picks. Since you didn't do either one of these, how about you....

JUST STOP COMPLAINING

Old 01-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Oh and one other thing. The reason I didn't post my picks yesterday is because I put in more than an hour of my time to get the 2016 game calculated and posted on this board. I had to get last year's game finished before I started on 2017.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I was going to use NUGT no matter what. Love it's volatility and with gold being down quite a bit, it's a good ticker for this game.
You could have run the game yourself if you don't like things, or you could have at least given the board the benefit of your stock knowledge by making some picks. Since you didn't do either one of these, how about you....

JUST STOP COMPLAINING
Volatility can be very bad for NUGT given the rebalancing. Just FYI since you love it in real life too. Pointing out you picked after the start is not a complaint but rather simply pointing out something that's off. Additionally all the work you've had to do for this is self inflicted since you decided to do this manually via a spreadsheet.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:03 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,663,943 times
Beer Geek, thanks for putting this together.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Beer Geek, thanks for putting this together.
Yup... and people, there's no real money on the table! This is a GAME.
Don't ruin the fun by pursuing it with the aggressiveness of lawyers in a political campaign.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:18 PM

468 posts, read 426,076 times
Is it too late? If not, I'd like to participate with:

70k AMZN
10k GE
10k ABBV
10k ATVI

I'm definitely throwing darts and trying to keep my Fantasy Football fix going with stocks

Old 01-06-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
Is it too late? If not, I'd like to participate with:

70k AMZN
10k GE
10k ABBV
10k ATVI

I'm definitely throwing darts and trying to keep my Fantasy Football fix going with stocks
I'll include your picks. Yeah I'm a fantasy football guy as well, and woke up this morning to find that PA is trying to get a $ 2.5 million licensing fee from the DFS companies. It just never ends.

Oh - and we'll backdate your picks to the market opening at the beginning of the week, IF lowexpectations gives his blessing and approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing