Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you buy cryptocurrencies?
Speculation - hope to sell them to the next high bidder. 69 50.00%
It’s a true currency. 9 6.52%
It’s a store of value. 31 22.46%
I don’t know. 29 21.01%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:12 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The lights have already been turned on and people are starting to leave, just my guess
Hardly, "mainstream adoption" hasn't even started yet. Who knows maybe it never will that's possible but Coinbase just rolled out a merchant processing option that integrates with Shopify with more integrations to come.

LightPay for Litecoin starts today which is different than any other merchant processing attempt in the past, it's much more integrated.

I definately see a lot of altcoins dying out, something like 50% of ICO's from a year ago have already died out but I don't see the core currencies ie most of the top 10 or top 20 marketcap coins dying out.

There's a lot of talk about ETF's rolling out soon, though they've been shot down by the SEC in the past it's looking more promising.

Robinhood started crypto trading, its not really "true" crypto as you essentially just have an IOU from them adn don't hold or control your own coins but is giving exposure to a lot of millenials who are trading stocks through Robinhood.

I don't buy intothe claims of $50,000 Bitcoin this year but I think we will see $13,000 to $20,000 before the end of the year.

I think Ethereum could hit $3000 to $5,000 and I think Litecoin will hit $400 plus again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 01:27 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,404 times
I see London I see France .....

Old 05-21-2018, 06:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Default Thoughts on Corporate Bitcoin investment

Amazon is now putting a lot into bitcoin and Goldman is already trading bitcoin futures. Major corporate investment is now taking place with cryptocurrencies. I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on this matter.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:15 AM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times
not something i would consider except for some fun trading .

imagine buying socks with bit coin and next day you see they cost you 500 bucks so as a currency ,meh . a currency needs stability .

i traded in it and am about even . it really is far to volatile and i much prefer vegas with dinner and a show

Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 AM

I've been involved in Bitcoin since 2013. I find value in it and believe in it longterm. That said, I think it's very unlikely we'll ever see the hype we saw in December of 2017. I think it's a good investment moving forward but I think it's more going to be like a traditional investment, your not going to make 8000% in a year.

People make a huge deal about Amazon, if your into BItcoin and AMazon begins utilizing it you may use it, if your not a Bitcoin user it's likely you won't be after Amazon accepts it. Sure Amazon gives it a bit more credibility and brings it a bit more into the mainstream awareness but its not going to change anything.

People make a huge deal about Amazon or other companies accepting Bitcoin, its not gonna change that much. I also think crypto, at least right now has more specific use cases. Right now merchant processing for Amazon is probably about 1.5%, would offering me a 1.5% discount to use Bitcoin really sway me to use it? Probably not, if it were 5% or 10% sure maybe I'd consider it, and this is comming from someone who has and uses Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is great for businesses who are high risk and have trouble getting processing period or who pay like 7% to 15% for traditional processing. Bitcoin is great for businesses and industries which have very high rates of chargebacks as Bitcoin doesn't have chargebacks. Bitcoin is great for things like Wikipedia or Backpage which Visa and MC have refused to process transactions for.

Bitcoin is great for some very specific use cases but I don't see it replacing credit cards. That's not a bad thing, even things like Apple Pay or Android pay, they aren't used more than cards, it's just another option.

All that said major banks, investments companies, even exchanges are getting into the crypto space so that just furthers adoption and takes more coins which theoretically we should see an increase in price if that continues.

Invest a small percentage of your portfolio ie less than 10%, be prepared to lose that money, there is some upside you could do very well. I don't personally know anyone who turned $200 into a million in crypto but I know plenty of people who turned say 2k or 5k into a couple hundred thousand.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:28 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Many bitcoin threads on CD, the majority of which seem focused on the 'opportunity to make a killing in the market.' Whenever these 'opportunities' come along, one must recognize that in order to "make a killing in the market," someone else must "get killed in the market."

Unless one is an expert in the market and stocks/futures/currency involved, it's probable that un-knowledgeable speculator will find themselves on the downside of a boom or crash. -- Best not to speculate with funds one is not willing to lose.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:14 AM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times
that statement is not correct , investing is not a zero sum game unless you are dealing with options or futures .

i can buy an investment , make a profit , sell it to you , you make a profit , you sell it to someone else , they make a profit , etc , etc . there does not ever have to be someone who got killed .

i can make a killing in a stock and so can the next guy . the guy i bought it from just may not as make as much as he could have . that is what is nice about investments .

Old 05-21-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Many bitcoin threads on CD, the majority of which seem focused on the 'opportunity to make a killing in the market.' Whenever these 'opportunities' come along, one must recognize that in order to "make a killing in the market," someone else must "get killed in the market."

Unless one is an expert in the market and stocks/futures/currency involved, it's probable that un-knowledgeable speculator will find themselves on the downside of a boom or crash. -- Best not to speculate with funds one is not willing to lose.
IMHO the days of making a killing have passed. Some of us were fortunate enough to be exposed to Bitcoin, thought it was interesting and/or saw an opportunity and threw some money into it and didvery well.

At this point I think it's an interesting speculative investment in an emerging industry, not a horrible idea to throw 5% or less of your portfolio at it. It could pay off decently well, it could be kind of a flop. I think people will see gains but I think people will see gains in lne with traditional invesmtents. The days of I bought $100 in Bitcoin and it turned into a million are gone, that ship has sailed. To anyone who's like damn I missed out, realize you probably wouldn't have invested anyway. Today Bitcoin is worth around 10K but it's also a lot more established as a "real" investment and not play money, though many people on here still love to call it play money. Back in 2013 when I was throwing a little extra money into Bitcoin my dad told me it sounded like a video game so back then most people didn't know about ti and the few who did, the majority of them thought it was fake internet money and not something to put money into

Old 08-19-2020, 10:53 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Default Will There Ever Be A Bitcoin ETF?

I googled it and it seems there's lots and lots of talk about it, but it hasn't happened. SEC declined to approve an ETF a few years ago but since then crypto has shown stability and greater acceptance. The financial industry and government are both probably shunning it, afraid of competition. I think a basket of large, well-established cryptos would make for a good ETF and would be a hedge, like gold.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:23 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
I think we will see a crypto currency from the U.S. Treasury in the next 12-18 months. Facebook jumped the gun a couple of years ago with Libra and they may have been told by government insiders to back off. Once the USD is officially in crypto, then we might see ETFs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing