Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:13 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

after the extra cold winter we had i am thinking of organizing a march and we all bring our spray can's and discharge them . i think we need a bigger hole in the ozone so we can warm things up again .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It pathetic really

Actually there is something that can be done. People can work together to reduce emissions world wide and that would be a positive contribution to addressing the impact we are having.
What kind of a solution is that???
Work together to reduce emissions? HOW? Are you going to close down all of those factories in China and India while you're at it? Maybe we should limit an American family to one automobile. As I said before -- outlaw air travel except for the elites? Those are the kinds of things that might actually make a difference, only problem is, they are NOT realistic.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
What kind of a solution is that???
Work together to reduce emissions? HOW? Are you going to close down all of those factories in China and India while you're at it? Maybe we should limit an American family to one automobile. As I said before -- outlaw air travel except for the elites? Those are the kinds of things that might actually make a difference, only problem is, they are NOT realistic.
Are you completely obtuse to the fact that reductions in emissions can be done? You don’t have to outlaw/shutdown or any of your overdramtic bs to improve things. Oh and yes it needs to be coordinated around the globe as if that wasn’t obvious enough. To throw your hands up and say deal with warmer temperatures not only shows you don’t understand the issue at all but it’s rather childish. You can, I can and companies could always work at doing better and a lot of people are, that’s a hell of a lot better than say “oh well nothing we can do”

Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
# 3 is dangerous thinking. Take a look at what happened in Japan, a flat stock market for decades. Our own stock market came back from the lows of 2008/2009 only because of government intervention. Don't count on it happening next time around.
I said that it might take another 12 years for the Dow to rise 20%; that’s just above 1% CAGR… hardly a resoundingly optimistic endorsement. But, if economic conditions are so adverse, that stocks can’t do any better than that, it’s likely that other mainstream investments won’t do any better… which obviates the argument for selling stocks, and placing one’s money elsewhere.

A rising stock market is a bet on humanity’s future being bigger and better. There may be severe setbacks along the way… WW1, Spanish Flu, WW2, Cold War, etc. The 20th century witnessed some of the most harrowingly brutal events in human history; yet, look at what happened to the Dow, from 1900 to 2000. The real long-term threat, isn’t recessions, depressions or human tragedies. The real threat is a vitiation of the human spirit. If collectively we give up as a species, it’s hard to see a future with more consumption and more production. If that happens, business can’t advance, profits can’t advance, and stocks can’t advance. Is that possible? Yes. But I’ll take that bet.

And something tells me that by 2050, or perhaps 2100, the Japanese stock market will indeed surpass its 1990 high. It's just that in the meanwhile, there are likely better investments elsewhere.

Quote:
OK.
Let's assume you are correct. The warming is entirely man-made.
What's the solution? Shut down the economy...?
The near-term solution is for governments around the world to unite in incentivizing the free-market to find economically-viable methods. The longer-term solution is sustained nuclear fusion.

Quote:
If you read my write up you would see that I am saying that there is NO SOLUTION to global warming other than that we are going to have to learn to live with warmer temperatures.
This is risibly defeatist. While phony and ineffectual "solutions" may indeed proliferate, this nowise implies that no real solutions are possible. In fact, I'd suggest that there's excellent money to be made, in finding and promulgating real, long-term solutions.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:45 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
How many times since about 2013 have we had posters on this forum saying this? Clearly someone's belief that the stock market is "simply due" for something isn't a good barometer of future performance.
Hi lieqiang!

Good points there. I'll tell you, if you did nothing in investment reading but follow this forum, you might spend a significant amount of time curled into a ball of despair, in between making quixotic moves borne of the innumerated.

It doesn't matter what well-established advice is given, or how many examples are used, the anomalous inevitably becomes the anticipated.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Hi lieqiang!

Good points there. I'll tell you, if you did nothing in investment reading but follow this forum, you might spend a significant amount of time curled into a ball of despair, in between making quixotic moves borne of the innumerated.

It doesn't matter what well-established advice is given, or how many examples are used, the anomalous inevitably becomes the anticipated.
Not really -- I'm only using the great advice of Warren Buffett - be fearful when others are greedy - Buffett is sitting on a record pile of cash currently. Now why do you think that might be?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:15 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Not really -- I'm only using the great advice of Warren Buffett - be fearful when others are greedy - Buffett is sitting on a record pile of cash currently. Now why do you think that might be?
What percentage of Warren's holdings are currently in cash, vs. actively invested in businesses?

If anything, fear is currently rampant. The prevailing talk is of disaster... impeachment, trade war, oil-shock, impending runaway inflation, Brexit, the latest implosion in the Middle East, revanchist Russia, immigration, left-vs-right animosity in America, runaway inequality, Coast vs. Heartland, yield-curve inversion, Baby Boomers retiring and pulling their money out of stocks. The contrarian trade right now, would be gorging on stocks.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:24 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:

The cash on hand isn’t a record. They represented it was 116billion at year end and just the other day Buffett said he estimated it currently at 100 billion as the were net buyers of securities in Q1 quoting the Apple purchase as 13 billion alone

Old 05-08-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The cash on hand isn’t a record. They represented it was 116billion at year end and just the other day Buffett said he estimated it currently at 100 billion as the were net buyers of securities in Q1 quoting the Apple purchase as 13 billion alone

If Buffett is sitting on 100 Billion $ then he must think there are better things to do with the money, than to buy stocks at this particular time. He's waiting for a market drop.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:33 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
If Buffett is sitting on 100 Billion $ then he must think there are better things to do with the money, than to buy stocks at this particular time. He's waiting for a market drop.
I thought that too, but he just dumped a boatload into Apple ..didnt he?>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing