Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:20 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Actions are louder than words. What do you expect him to do....go on all of the TV shows and shout out to the masses that the market is overvalued?
But Buffett didn't know.

He's a NICE guy!

He did share buybacks. How was he sposed to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Warren Buffett has said that he expects the US economy to grow by 2% every year and for the stock market to go higher over the long-term.

I’m going by that prediction.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 AM

7,644 posts, read 4,593,440 times
Not sure what the old dude is up to, but I bought BRK-B the other week based on the US growth, rail traffic and favorable price points in insurance comparatives. When the US grows, Berkshire grows.

If you think about it though, he's going to have quite a compelling war chest. He's got his own $100B, and then he's gone and become major shareholder at APPL with its own little war-chest. The two could start a decent sized international tech bank.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:35 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,378 times
Quote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savi...cid=spartanntp

If Berkshire doesn't think there are a whole lot of good opportunities right now, and is waiting for prices to decline -- why isn't everyone? Food for thought at 2:25 in the morning.
A lot of companies are sitting on piles of cash. A lot of companies have been aggressively pursuing stock buy backs for awhile now.

Most of my money is in private ventures these days, where I see much more opportunity than public. Housing and cannabis mostly. Houses here are selling before the paints done drying. Will have a large indoor warehouse for cannabis by the end of the year done and dispensary next year. My states finally starting to get some of the lead out of their pants for this stuff. Course for all this stuff, I'm 50% to 100% in charge. I wouldn't really want to be substantially in cannabis without a good chunk of say.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Actions are louder than words. What do you expect him to do....go on all of the TV shows and shout out to the masses that the market is overvalued?
so you are telling people to follow buffett while simultaneously telling them not to listen to him.

the premise now is, do what buffett does and not what he says. i dont think that is very sound. i know it has already been said that we arent warren buffett and you discounted it but that isnt a small distinction. buffett invests differently than us and we cant pretend that we can just follow the same strategy as him and succeed like him.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so you are telling people to follow buffett while simultaneously telling them not to listen to him.

the premise now is, do what buffett does and not what he says. i dont think that is very sound. i know it has already been said that we arent warren buffett and you discounted it but that isnt a small distinction. buffett invests differently than us and we cant pretend that we can just follow the same strategy as him and succeed like him.
For context, this is what Buffett says:

"Right now, there's no question: It's feeling strong. I mean, if we're in the sixth inning, we have our sluggers coming to bat right now," Buffett said in the "Squawk Box" the interview that aired Thursday.

"I'm no good at predicting out two or three or five years from now, although I will say this: There's no question in my mind that America's going to be far ahead of where we are now 10, 20 and 30 years from now," the 87-year-old billionaire added. "But right now, business is good. There's no question about it."

If we're in the 6th inning, the game is barely half over. Where the **** is his money?

Actually, he said he's going to invest in share buybacks for BKH, so that way he's not "culpable" cuz he "didn't know, like everyone else."

Old 08-07-2018, 11:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

"Right now, there's no question: It's feeling strong. I mean, if we're in the sixth inning, we have our sluggers coming to bat right now," Buffett said in the "Squawk Box" the interview that aired Thursday.

"I'm no good at predicting out two or three or five years from now, although I will say this: There's no question in my mind that America's going to be far ahead of where we are now 10, 20 and 30 years from now," the 87-year-old billionaire added. "But right now, business is good. There's no question about it."

If we're in the 6th inning, the game is barely half over. Where the **** is his money?

im not sure what you mean by that.

if he is 87, i think he is closer to the 9th inning.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure what you mean by that.

if he is 87, i think he is closer to the 9th inning.
Well, in terms of a baseball game, him and Jamie Dimon are essentially saying the economy is just heating up, while other indicators such as bonds might be telling a different story.

Regardless of what the correct story is, people may find it suspicious that he can't find any deals in a market where our "sluggers" are about to come out to bat.

Seems to me he should find deals all over the place with that rationale.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:30 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
I would take the exact opposite view. The "deals" are best, when the economy is in precipitous decline... around 10 years ago. The healthier the economy, the greater the paucity of screaming deals.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:36 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

Actually, he said he's going to invest in share buybacks for BKH, so that way he's not "culpable" cuz he "didn't know, like everyone else."
His advice for retail has long been invest for the long term and ignore the noise. You need to have money to do what he does. An average person is not anything like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I would take the exact opposite view. The "deals" are best, when the economy is in precipitous decline... around 10 years ago. The healthier the economy, the greater the paucity of screaming deals.
Over the next 16 months I'll be pulling a bunch of cash out of real estate and likely keeping a chunk around. The next downturn is coming. No denying that. Part of a normal cycle. trumps economic policy, if you can call it that, isn't going to stave that off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing