Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 04:50 PM

72 posts, read 40,673 times

Advertisements

So, I’ve accumulated a pretty good nest egg and will have a pension and of course SS in retirement. In two years, at 62, I’m thinking of retiring. While I did a pretty good job accumulating I’m not very versed in what to do with it after retirement. I was thinking of paying someone but 1% seems like a lot. What are some good resources to help me educate myself to feel confident in self-directing my investments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 05:02 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"What are some good resources to help me educate myself to feel confident in self-directing my investments?"

if i understand correctly, you are 60 and want to do this yourself with C-D recommendations.

ok.
here we go:
1. https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/
2. Daily Pfennig – Lively Daily Insights on World Currencies and Economic Happenings
3. https://www.fool.com

of course, these do not specifically tell you what to do,
they will tell you what to consider before you do it.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstway View Post
In two years, at 62, I’m thinking of retiring.
Nail down what you can do for health insurance and the costs related vs staying employed to get it.
Maybe negotiating some sort of part time thing too going into the future as well.

Quote:
I’m not very versed in what to do with it after retirement.
Probably not a whole lot different than what you've been doing -- but sure get a check up.
Start with the CPA (who knows your numbers) and who you have reason to trust.
Discuss what's good/bad for taxes, what grows and also hits the income you need (beyond the others).
Quote:
...to feel confident in self-directing my investments?
KISS applies to this as well.
Don't volunteer for anything you don't understand.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:44 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
My sister uses Fidelity for ~1.0% AUM. She & DH have a UC retirement pension, group (UC) LTCi plans and small private pension from big company. Plus IRAs and stock. She gets a wealth discount.

We use a FA fudicary, pay ~1.5-2% AUM in annuities and managed accounts. We only have a single, small pension. We have rentals, self managed. Smaller IRAs in trading accounts. We have private purchase LTCi. Our retirement wealth is less so we pay more but we have rentals that I calculate differently.

Overall, she got her initial plans from their employers. We had to find and purchase.

Ymmv

Last edited by leastprime; 10-15-2019 at 05:53 PM..

Old 10-15-2019, 06:57 PM

Yeah we've checked in with a FA who is fiduciary and would charge .9% of AUM. He seems to be on the up and up and has tailored a plan for our particular situation. In some ways I like the hands off approach but I'm unfortunately a do-it-yourselfer in most things. I'd need to do some wood shedding though to get up to speed and even with that would probably never feel comfortable.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:42 PM

Shop till you drop.

Talking with my FA yesterday, he said that fund companies and advisors have and are developing models to mimic annuities for their high net worth clients. All have some form of active management
YMMV, YMmv, ymmv.

My sis has nearly all her discretionary retirement with Fido.
We have about a third of discretionary assets with fudiciary.
Different stories for different folks.
Ymmv

Old 10-15-2019, 07:58 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
It sounds like OP has a pretty good handle on things (Pension, SS, investments). The real issue of paying someone else to manage your nest egg is NOT what you pay, but, how much you make. If you are making a net of 8-10-percent annually AFTER paying management fees, do you really care how much the management company made? (I've pretty steadily made 8-10-percent net after fees for the past 11-years).

Some will argue that they can do a better job of managing their own investments ... and they are probably right. But, how much time, effort and emotional capital is it worth for someone who is not a stock analyst and would rather play golf?

Old 10-15-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It sounds like OP has a pretty good handle on things (Pension, SS, investments). The real issue of paying someone else to manage your nest egg is NOT what you pay, but, how much you make. If you are making a net of 8-10-percent annually AFTER paying management fees, do you really care how much the management company made? (I've pretty steadily made 8-10-percent net after fees for the past 11-years).

Some will argue that they can do a better job of managing their own investments ... and they are probably right. But, how much time, effort and emotional capital is it worth for someone who is not a stock analyst and would rather play golf?
This is sort of how I've been thinking about it. The fees are kind of crazy especially since they recur every year for what seems to be less work. BUT as long as there are good returns who cares. The FA gets his and I get mine without fretting over whether I've done things right or not.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:43 PM

We have same returns as jrhorton.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:06 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I've pretty steadily made 8-10-percent net after fees for the past 11-years).
11 years would be just after the end of the last big bear market, so this average doesn't include any major downturns. Eventually, I have no idea when, but eventually there will be another big bear market. The 8-10% average will probably be a lot lower when the next big bear market hits, and the average includes a full market cycle instead of only the climb up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing