Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 05:13 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
It will top out at its top and then bottom out at its bottom.
If you ignore both of these events, you'll be much better off.
That is some fantastic analysis there.
What else do you have for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 07:47 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The other shoe didn't drop because of quantitative easing on a global scale. See my other post. The central banks have done nothing to trim their balance sheets... they've kept adding assets to their balance sheets during most of the expansion. If we have another downturn the amount of adding they will have to do to artificially suppress interest rates will be rather excessive. I'm curious what the ultimate outcome will be. Earnings are being artificially inflated by debt creation and companies are creating more debt to buy back their stock helping driving up the markets. I know people don't like to hear pessimism but I don't see this bank asset buying to be sound financial strategy long run. When the house of cards collapses, the DOW will fall from 35,000 to 15,000, and I'm prepared for that... or I will be. I LOVE big bubbles like this because it makes the resulting downturn that much more obvious and profitable. This is by far the best since the tech bubble in 1999 when I was just a wee lad. Where's the support level on this chart? haha. In the meantime I'm rooting for nasdaq 10K+.. an obvious meltup that happens quickly.

NASDAQ Composite Index, COMP Quick Chart - (American Stock Exchange) COMP, NASDAQ Composite Index Stock Price - BigCharts.com
https://www.gurufocus.com/stock-market-valuations.php

We have near zero interest rates with central banks globally adding to their balance sheets the last 10 years.. what ammunition do they have left? Turn the page.

Don't forget about the $50+ billion in DAILY repo injections the Fed is doing to prop up the repo market. If the repo market cracks, the house of cards comes crumbling down quickly. I think central banks around the world really think that taking rates far in the negative is actually going to solve all of this mess they have created behind the curtain, when it is the ZIRP policies over the past decade that have backed them into this corner. NIRP policies will only exacerbate the problem further as Europe and Japan are finding out.

Maybe they are orchestrating all of this to have such a grand collapse, CBs can have their global reset, and then usher in a completely digital currency for total control. Think about it - we are supposedly in the "Greatest Economy Ever" - and have had a decade of ZIRP policies, record historical government, consumer, and corporate debt levels, and over the past few months have had 3 rate cuts, record Fed balance sheet expansion, and the repo market has been nationalized due to a run on liquidity. And this is all in the "good times."

Old 01-18-2020, 12:52 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,222,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Don't forget about the $50+ billion in DAILY repo injections the Fed is doing to prop up the repo market. If the repo market cracks, the house of cards comes crumbling down quickly. I think central banks around the world really think that taking rates far in the negative is actually going to solve all of this mess they have created behind the curtain, when it is the ZIRP policies over the past decade that have backed them into this corner. NIRP policies will only exacerbate the problem further as Europe and Japan are finding out.

Maybe they are orchestrating all of this to have such a grand collapse, CBs can have their global reset, and then usher in a completely digital currency for total control. Think about it - we are supposedly in the "Greatest Economy Ever" - and have had a decade of ZIRP policies, record historical government, consumer, and corporate debt levels, and over the past few months have had 3 rate cuts, record Fed balance sheet expansion, and the repo market has been nationalized due to a run on liquidity. And this is all in the "good times."
It is now the FED's responsibility to make stocks go up or face annihilation for allowing the economy to slip into deflation. Deflation is the enemy, right? We now are living in a zero-interest-rate environment because we are so debt-ladened raising rates will trigger debt default on a huge scale and bankruptcies and recession/depression all over the globe. So we keep interest rates at zero or near zero to avoid this. This has never happened before. We are being held hostage by ZIRP - can't go forward, can't go back. Living in a ZIRP environment will eventually destroy the world's banking system.

When the FED was created in 1913 it was to find a way to AVOID cyclical deflation that robbed (almost) everyone of what they had gain during the BUSINESS CYCLE or GROWTH CYCLE. The FED is doing what they were created to do. Is this wise is another story. Taking on new debt to protect old debt instead of letting bad debt expire through deflation may or may not prove to be wise. Clearly we had a soft landing after 2009. But it is not over. The FED has a huge balance sheet that threatens the world every time they attempt to unwind it.

Deflation is painful but has a silver lining:
(1) destroys debt so the economy can eventually build a newer model at the new Business Cycle
(2) rewards the SAVING CULTURE and not just the SPECULATION CULTURE (gambling)
(3) strengthens the local currency so it can learn to live again.

The idea that saving is BAD and that a strong currency is BAD is the lies of the Global Culture and the Global Economy which wants all people and all societies to be dependent upon the Overlord Government. Deflation didn't kill my parents in 1929-1947. It made them tough and resourceful. Now, we are neither tough nor resourceful. What happened? We got SMART and we got STUPID. Bunch of COWARDS if you ask me.

Good Luck!!!

Old 01-18-2020, 04:14 PM

1,553 posts, read 924,654 times
Wouldn't be surprised to see a pullback shortly after the DJIA tops 30-large...

Old 01-19-2020, 04:58 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
It IS insane, but there has to be a lot of apprehension with this very long runup?!?!?!?!?

Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I think it will top out @ 30,500 and correct before it ascends further upward. Of course, hope
I’m wrong and it keeps ascending!

Old 01-21-2020, 08:02 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It IS insane, but there has to be a lot of apprehension with this very long runup?!?!?!?!?
By long run up, I guess you are referring to the increases since the beginning of 2019?

Before then the market had ups and downs but at the end of 2019 the DJIA was about the same as it had been well over a year earlier.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:59 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Through 1/15/20 the Fed is back in the market buying again. Must have been a skip week for New Years. Rally on, rally on.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:00 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Q: Market Melt Up: Where does the Dow top out, before correcting?

A: At the top.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:24 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
I keep seeing comments like "this markets insane". The average return in a bull market is ~21% per year. This bull markets been more like 15-16%. By that measure this bull has underperformed.

Also, the market corrected back in December 2018 almost 20% so if you look at history, a move up of ~30% is actually quite normal after such a correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing