Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 08:38 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What could a hacker actually do though? Buy and sell your own stocks? They aren't just going to allow a transfer of money to some new account without a lot of verifications in place. ANd mine is linked to my bank account where they make sure everything matches up. Thats why there is usually a holding period in place until you can use the money. They also made me use a app that generates a temp password every time I log in, which i get through my phone. They would have to hack my phone at the same time and immediately. I've yet to hear of an account being hacked and money stolen.
It happens at banks all the time to people who don’t track things and wait for paper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 08:43 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
What could a hacker actually do though? Buy and sell your own stocks? They aren't just going to allow a transfer of money to some new account without a lot of verifications in place. ANd mine is linked to my bank account where they make sure everything matches up. Thats why there is usually a holding period in place until you can use the money. They also made me use a app that generates a temp password every time I log in, which i get through my phone. They would have to hack my phone at the same time and immediately. I've yet to hear of an account being hacked and money stolen.

Not traditional hacking but through email compromise I saw where a client’s online trading account was accessed. The ********* was placing limit orders on thinly trades securities buying and selling resulting in large losses. All the ********* needed to have was another online account that could take the opposite sides of the trades via similar limit orders and thus taking the gains

I’m not sure why the person who commits “fraud” is a catch word here

Old 02-20-2020, 03:23 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It happens at banks all the time to people who don’t track things and wait for paper
Never heard of it happening. You’re going to have to be more specific so we’re comparing apples to apples.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:44 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Never heard of it happening. You’re going to have to be more specific so we’re comparing apples to apples.
we know many chase accounts that were hacked in to and bitcoins bought ... if you are anti internet and dont get alerts you wont know until you get paper mailings ...

happened to me but i got an alert and chase stopped it . you can google how often hacks on accounts happen .

Old 02-20-2020, 05:10 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we know many chase accounts that were hacked in to and bitcoins bought ... if you are anti internet and dont get alerts you wont know until you get paper mailings ...

happened to me but i got an alert and chase stopped it . you can google how often hacks on accounts happen .
Speaking of paper statements the min number of people that touch a piece of mail end to end is somewhere around 7-9 people so that’s a large area for information to get stolen

Old 02-20-2020, 05:18 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
Yesterday spouse logged onto Fidelity and saw our account balance was $0. He was checking to see if a bank wire had come in. Freaked out a bit. So I logged on (I believed him but double checking is always good). Same $0. 20 years with Fidelity never had this happen.

Called our local account rep. She said they were having technical problems and we were one of several calling in so far. We were calling from 1,000 miles away so not a local internet problem. She logged onto our account and said she saw our portfolio and it was not $0. Later that day it all was normal. Spouse printed out last months statement and will be doing so every month from now on. Just in case.

Re: information stolen and paper statements. When we still got mailed statements (none now-all internet) I did not want our statements delivered to a neighbor by mistake (I've gotten other peoples mail) or missing (there are stories about mail thrown away) so set up USPS P.O.Box (not an independent box place) and had all financial stuff sent there, not person-delivered. I think USPS does a great job (family member is mail carrier) but too much chance of important information getting into wrong hands. Even if someone didn't open it an envelope from a brokerage says "they have money".

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 02-20-2020 at 05:29 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 05:39 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Yesterday spouse logged onto Fidelity and saw our account balance was $0. He was checking to see if a bank wire had come in. Freaked out a bit. So I logged on (I believed him but double checking is always good). Same $0. 20 years with Fidelity never had this happen.
When I signed in yesterday, there was a message on the home page that they were experiencing problems. I couldn't access one account for awhile.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:

Called our local account rep. She said they were having technical problems and we were one of several calling in so far. We were calling from 1,000 miles away so not a local internet problem. She logged onto our account and said she saw our portfolio and it was not $0. Later that day it all was normal. Spouse printed out last months statement and will be doing so every month from now on. Just in case.

Re: information stolen and paper statements. When we still got mailed statements (none now-all internet) I did not want our statements delivered to a neighbor by mistake (I've gotten other peoples mail) or missing (there are stories about mail thrown away) so set up USPS P.O.Box (not an independent box place) and had all financial stuff sent there, not person-delivered. I think USPS does a great job (family member is mail carrier) but too much chance of important information getting into wrong hands. Even if someone didn't open it an envelope from a brokerage says "they have money".
i saw that but i just waited a bit. no freaking out.

one time when i logged into my fidelity account all the numbers had doubled. i felt like a rich guy for a day!

Old 02-21-2020, 09:59 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:

Called our local account rep. She said they were having technical problems ...
I love how companies say "we're having technical problems" as if that were an explanation that makes everything all right.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:11 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,344,411 times
"Most" hacks are user error. People using the same password on multiple sites, other crappy site gets exposed, perhaps they don't keep hashed passwords properly and now the password is known. Key loggers are another issue that are common. If a hacker has access to your email you are pretty much ****ed.

Two factor is clutch. Alerts are clutch. Using a password manager is very helpful and not using the same password on any site, ever, while at the same time securing your computer you eliminate most of the risk.

Don't use IE. Use something like firefox with no script of Chrome with ublock / Ad Guard will eliminate most issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing