Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 11:17 AM

7,563 posts, read 8,596,983 times

Advertisements

If you are only to own 1~2 stocks among AMZN, AAPL, GOOG, MSFT, which would you choose? Would the past performance or the future predictions influence your choice more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 11:22 AM

962 posts, read 607,126 times
AMZN, AAPL will outperform GOOG, MSFT over the next 10 years, I think.

But I wouldn't buy any of them.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:28 AM

7,563 posts, read 8,596,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post

But I wouldn't buy any of them.
From the historical charts it seems AAPL is more volatile than MSFT?

Old 03-01-2020, 11:33 AM
JRR

8,114 posts, read 5,565,658 times
If I had a gun to my head and had to buy two of them, I would buy GOOG & MSFT. But being under that type of pressure would be the only way I would buy any of them.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:46 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,323,707 times
MSFT because of Azure and at some point they are going to leverage their PC / gaming presence into mobile. They also have a nice corporate upgrade cycle overdue.

Apple has a ton of sheeple that are in their ecosystem and they will continue to exploit that for profit. It is about as close to a technological church as you can get.

Google would be a close third but I'd give Apple the nod for now until it gets close to the old highs and then reevaluate.

Facebook will also see nice appreciation with all the political advertising coming down the pipe, this would be a short term play for me though.

Amazon already trades at a premium to the others. I wouldn't be interested in the stock at these levels.

Last edited by aridon; 03-01-2020 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-01-2020, 12:46 PM

7,610 posts, read 4,510,822 times
Ranked in order that I would take.

MSFT - This is a money machine. They've been public enemy #1 forever and know how to handle it. The JEDI win means their future in cloud computing is going to be there. They understand what they are, and what they are not.

GOOGL - The L is important as it's the only voting stock...GOOG shares are worthless to me. Preferred shares with no voting rights or dividend to collect. The company has emerged and handed reigns down. It is positioning to move beyond its founders while printing cash and knowing everything. It's gross how the "Do no evil" company has made money, but they've done well with it.

AAPL - Once upon a time Apple made the best personal computers in the world. They were simple, reliable and a marketing triumph. Yet the race for perfection meant that the shared designing of the flawed PC could move faster and R&D was spread amongst many companies. In the end, the PC won out. As Apple requires your entire ecosystem to run on their components today, history will repeat itself. Even this amazingly profitable company's R&D can't outrun the entire world in perpetuity.

AMZN - Their sprawl into industries is like the plague spreading across Europe. Killing industry after industry it touches, but leaving a few survivors with natural resistance. In grand retail, Sears was felled by the Kmart superstore, replaced by Wal-Mart and Costco superstores.....all of those companies at least had the good sense to make money in doing so. This concept is lost on Bezos. When market buyers start to need information again and find a generic Amazon reseller not providing the gap between offer and want....this company will find itself defending on 1,000 front lines from entities that develop to actually serve the target audience one again.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:07 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,975,875 times
Aapl msft

Old 03-02-2020, 09:25 AM

7,298 posts, read 4,569,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post

But I wouldn't buy directly any of them.
Fixt! You're welcome.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:33 AM

5,430 posts, read 6,190,456 times
With all else being equal and today's valuations aside, if I were to own two of these for the next 10-20 years it would easily be AAPL and MSFT. I actually own AAPL, bought at $170 a year and a half or so ago, but am not adding at current valuations.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:39 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,187,069 times
Today: None

In 20 years.. an index fund for the S&P 500. There's simply no advantage to buying megacaps with trillion dollar market caps over an index fund. Individual stock investing should be reserved for companies under a market cap of $500B, and I would argue even lower then that... lower than $200B.

I'm sorry but I won't give you a choice between these 4 megacaps. 3 of them have market caps of near or over $1.2T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing