Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times

Advertisements

MBA professors are reportedly claiming that Starbucks made a few specific errors in judgement in regards to their business lifecycle:

#1 - They over expanded and underestimated how far people are really willing to travel to buy their coffee. A good example is how nearby my home is a large "outdoor mall" in which there is a Starbucks both inside a Barnes & Nobles, and also an independent Starbucks (also without a drive thru) on the other side of the mall. Yes it is a big mall, but that was definitely a poor judgement call by the company. For Starbucks most people are willing to walk one tenth of a mile (or even drive 1-5 miles)... I know if I was still buying espresso I wouldn't consider that a tremendous inconvenience.

#2 - Unlike McDonald's which actually is primarily in the real-estate business (the company actually owns and leases nearly all of its locations to the franchisers/store owners), Starbucks leases most of its locations from landlords. It thus has little ownership in actual real estate and cannot leverage its real estate assets as McDonald's (or even Walgreen's) can.

#3 Starbucks doesn't have any sort of method for retaining customers - no significant nationwide loyalty program. They sell a luxury product, and in a tough economic climate, Starbucks really needs a loyalty program to retain the customers it already has today. They are bleeding customers willing to go down the street to another coffee shop, perhaps a locally owned business, perhaps a business with a quieter or nicer atmosphere, or perhaps a place which an equivalent drink can be had for .50 cents less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:21 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,742 times
[quote=mbuszu;3634234]MBA professors are reportedly claiming that Starbucks made a few specific errors in judgement in regards to their business lifecycle:

#1 - They over expanded and underestimated how far people are really willing to travel to buy their coffee. A good example is how nearby my home is a large "outdoor mall" in which there is a Starbucks both inside a Barnes & Nobles, and also an independent Starbucks (also without a drive thru) on the other side of the mall. Yes it is a big mall, but that was definitely a poor judgement call by the company. For Starbucks most people are willing to walk one tenth of a mile (or even drive 1-5 miles)... I know if I was still buying espresso I wouldn't consider that a tremendous inconvenience.

I agree with this 100%. There is a mall here in NJ - average size, not huge. There are four Starbucks. One in the mall, and one outside the mall. There is also one inside Acme (supermarket) and inside Target. All are within easy walking distance of one another. Crazy!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:07 PM

323 posts, read 2,090,172 times
Somehow, I don't really see the $3-4 + coffee being too hot while the economy sputters with gas prices, inflation etc.

Dunkin Donuts, half the price and better in my opinion.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:24 AM

3,456 posts, read 3,384,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
MBA professors are reportedly claiming that Starbucks made a few specific errors in judgement in regards to their business lifecycle:

I second both you and UKOK on that about Starbucks, as I can name many areas in the Chicago area where I feel Starbucks has overexpanded. Not to mention(of course), that as a result of their excessive expansion, they've successfully cannibalized sales from their older locations.

BTW, well said about Dunkin' Donuts, SPNARD1! I've more and more grown to really enjoy their coffee in the last year, since I randomly tried it myself about a year or 2 ago.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,980 times
Dunkin Donuts is disgusting.

Starbucks, ftw. (:

Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Starsucks has no future. As commodities prices rise due to demand and shortages, you'll see most of the Asian and African countries convert from coffee plantations back to rice cultivation. That will cause the price to rise very quickly. In the case of some of the African countries, I wouldn't be surprised to see the governments seize the coffee bean plantations from US corporations and convert the land back to its original rice cultivation to feed their people.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:05 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
These luxury consumer niches will be the first to go. Sharper Image is already gone.
No, they won't be going anywhere. It's interesting when people have issues with what others spend their money on. I sense some jealousy, hmmm.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
No, they won't be going anywhere. It's interesting when people have issues with what others spend their money on. I sense some jealousy, hmmm.
No, no jealousy here. Just an observation of indicators. Sharper Image and Linens & Things have fallen by the wayside. As people tighten their belts these types of places will suffer first.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, no jealousy here. Just an observation of indicators. Sharper Image and Linens & Things have fallen by the wayside. As people tighten their belts these types of places will suffer first.
Things are not "suffering" as bad as the media makes it appear.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Hard to be jealous over people spending money they don't have

But I suppose that a quick swipe of the card makes one an "owner" of such fine products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing