Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 07:20 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,034,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Nonsense! All I’ve heard from bulls over the last few weeks is that Tesla is so far ahead of their competition so they have nothing to worry about. Time will tell

Compared to standard automakers yes, but I'm sure AAPL has tons of data they have been collecting, they could definitely give TSLA a run for their money if they truly commit 100% to this project. Who knows though, they might come out with cute little driver-less only EVs and if that happens, no thanks. It needs to have performance, technology, design, range, charging infrastructure... all of the above. The battle is against AAPL, but if anyone could topple TSLA, it would be AAPL. I think the chances are low, but it is a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 07:30 AM

30,679 posts, read 18,313,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Compared to standard automakers yes, but I'm sure AAPL has tons of data they have been collecting, they could definitely give TSLA a run for their money if they truly commit 100% to this project. Who knows though, they might come out with cute little driver-less only EVs and if that happens, no thanks. It needs to have performance, technology, design, range, charging infrastructure... all of the above. The battle is against AAPL, but if anyone could topple TSLA, it would be AAPL. I think the chances are low, but it is a possibility.
Right. If Apple is serious about this (and given that they went public with the news, I see no reason why they wouldn't be), this could be a very big game changer. Tesla's other competition in the EV market I'm not really concerned about at this stage. But Apple has both the resources and technical capability (which resources only enhance . . . and like you've written, they've likely been compiling data for years now) to be a serious threat.

Granted, I'm still getting my Cybertruck and am still a Tesla fan, but very curious to see the impact this would have on TSLA stock if Apple goes all in.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:39 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,203,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Here’s the thing. If it’s not Apple, it’s someone else. To think Tesla will have no serious competitors within the EV market is ignorant imo.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Here’s the thing. If it’s not Apple, it’s someone else. To think Tesla will have no serious competitors within the EV market is ignorant imo.
The question is when, though. The current bunch have failed miserably. Others that look somewhat promising are going out of their way to say that Tesla isn't their main competition (think Lucid Motors' CEO saying that his company's top competitor is Mercedes-Benz as an example).

As far as TSLA stock goes, if it's not Apple, I'm having a hard time seeing a significant threat in the near future that poses a real threat.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:47 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,203,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The question is when, though. The current bunch have failed miserably. Others that look somewhat promising are going out of their way to say that Tesla isn't their main competition (think Lucid Motors' CEO saying that his company's top competitor is Mercedes-Benz as an example).

As far as TSLA stock goes, if it's not Apple, I'm having a hard time seeing a significant threat in the near future that poses a real threat.
And despite having little to no competition in the present (which is bound to change in the future), how profitable has Tesla been? Especially when you remove the tax breaks? That’s not concerning?

Old 12-22-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
And despite having little to no competition in the present (which is bound to change in the future), how profitable has Tesla been? Especially when you remove the tax breaks? That’s not concerning?
Concerning in the short term, but considering the growth that Tesla is seeing every year (and with new products and factories being built, this will only continue), the emissions credits aren't going to be necessary long-term. Still, I'd turn the question right back to the other EV makers, though: they are getting demolished in the EV game right now by Tesla. The fact that they haven't been able to qualify for the same emissions credits that Tesla does due to lower sales should concern them, especially as Tesla continues to grow at a significant rate.

Quote:
The Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) program is one such source; the program is a California regulation which mandates that automakers must sell a certain number of electric vehicles relative to their total sales. There are ten other states in the U.S. that have adopted the measure. If an automaker ends the year without sufficient credits, they’re fined – that is unless they buy them from a company such as Tesla.

. . .

For years, Tesla has been paid by other automakers for the regulatory credits that they acquire as a result of their all-electric lineup and it was a mystery as to who exactly was purchasing the credits. Last summer, Bloomberg reported that General Motors and FCA had disclosed in a Delaware court that they had agreed to buy greenhouse gas emissions credits from Tesla.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ehicles%20sold.

Simply put, if the other companies were more of a threat and selling more EVs, Tesla wouldn't be running away with the emissions credit game at the moment.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:19 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Yes, I'm sure that's what the folks at Blackberry thought too.
Not really. After the Iphone came out black berry was trying to catch up by removing the keyboard.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:24 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Yep I agree with you

Old 12-22-2020, 12:46 PM

654 posts, read 425,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Not really. After the Iphone came out black berry was trying to catch up by removing the keyboard.
Exactly, when you think of the first smartphone you think Iphone not Blackberry. When you think of the First EV you think Tesla not Nissan Leaf or whatever it was.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:50 PM

936 posts, read 2,088,647 times
I think Tesla will maintain their 15% to 20% of EV market share for the next 10-15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing