Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2020, 01:57 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,504,940 times

Advertisements

I've found some sector specific ETF's I really like such as WCLD. Vanguard and Fidelity don't seem to offer anything this granular so I'm stuck with VGT (mutual fund equivalent = VITAX), which is just a Nasdaq index fund. Is there anyway to invest in more specific funds within your IRA? I'm ok moving funds if needed. I know I can do it with after tax funds, but most of my money is in 401K/IRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 02:03 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,034,663 times
I'd imagine Ameritrade would allow it, but call them first to double check.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:05 PM

23,601 posts, read 24,139,882 times
Fidelity has sector funds, but they are not ETF’s. Example is FSPTX for the technology sector.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:43 PM

106,897 posts, read 109,156,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Fidelity has sector funds, but they are not ETF’s. Example is FSPTX for the technology sector.
fidelity has a line of etf sector funds too

https://www.fidelity.com/etfs/differ...iAAEgLR3_D_BwE

Old 12-18-2020, 03:26 PM

6,631 posts, read 7,366,132 times
Try any stock broker.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:05 PM

23,601 posts, read 24,139,882 times
Good to know. I never knew Fidelity had ETF sector offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
fidelity has a line of etf sector funds too

https://www.fidelity.com/etfs/differ...iAAEgLR3_D_BwE

Old 12-22-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Try any stock broker.
at first, I thought you didn't understand the question, but it got me thinking, maybe I'm the one that's lost.

Looking at vanguard's web site, it seems that "maybe" I could move some funds into money market and then use those funds to purchase non vanguard ETF's or even individual stock. Since this is a "Traditional IRA", I'm not sure if this is possible, but just sent them an email asking...

Old 01-08-2021, 02:09 PM

So yeah, it was in front of me the whole time. I'm able to invest in individual stocks from my IRA account. This brings up another question. If you are able to buy any stock/fund in your IRA account, why would anyone want a mutual fund vs. the equivalent ETF? For example, VGT is an ETF and VITAX is the equivalent mutual fund. Since expense fees are the same, it seems you'd always want the ETF for flexibility - being able to buy/sell whenever the market is open vs. mutual fund where you're at the mercy of the closing price.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:00 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,532,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
So yeah, it was in front of me the whole time. I'm able to invest in individual stocks from my IRA account. This brings up another question. If you are able to buy any stock/fund in your IRA account, why would anyone want a mutual fund vs. the equivalent ETF? For example, VGT is an ETF and VITAX is the equivalent mutual fund. Since expense fees are the same, it seems you'd always want the ETF for flexibility - being able to buy/sell whenever the market is open vs. mutual fund where you're at the mercy of the closing price.
I think it's just personal preference and convenience. I still buy mutual funds in my IRA. The dividend/capital gains reinvestment is automatic, and fractional shares are purchased. I don't really care what time of day I'm buying in (or selling), as I'm just dollar cost averaging at a periodic interval - twice a month.

But yeah, you should be able to buy and sell pretty much anything in an IRA at Vanguard, Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, etc.. You might have to get approval for certain trades though, like options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing