Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2021, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 3,864 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I would appreciate any help, as I just received this form today

I received a 1099-k from paypal for a high amount. I do not have a business. I am concerned, as this form is correct... but it doesn't reflect what I actually made. I researched online and my understanding is it is more meant for people who use paypal for say selling things (ebay).

Summary - I have used a few gambling sites through out the year. Typically I would deposit money from my bank account or paypal (Ex. $500) into the gambling site and then eventually withdraw the money (Ex. $500 + $250 winnings) into my Paypal or if i lost... then I would add more funds. I did this through out the year, as the funds process quicker when they are deposited from the gambling sites to paypal than sending to a bank account

Anyways... Paypal only counts the deposits you receive vs. withdrawals. So it looks like i made ex. 30k... when in fact I actually lost ex. 5k for the year.

I have all of the summary totals from the gambling sites, which show I lost ex. about 5k for the year.

I am completely confused on how to handle this? Do I report this ex. 30k as income (if so, where) and then somewhere enter what i actually lost to offset (if so, where) the total, etc.?

As If enter in I lost say ex. 5k under gamling losses, but there is no where to enter in the 1099-k of ex. 30k. It seems the only place I can enter in the 1099-k is under self employment, which this doesn't seem correct either not does it reflect any losses

Any help would be appreciated, as this is ruining my night

Note: moving to the investing forum, as no responses on the finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 05:24 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Call an accountant. No one here knows what you have been doing.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,338,098 times
??? I would defiantly split the amounts between the business and gambling.
Then the losses from gambling would reduce the winning from gambling. Can not deduct a loss from gambling.
Your business probably goes on sch C.
The income on k-1 would go on sch C according to my logic but I do not know what the tax code says.

What is the description of the item on the k-1. The instructions for the k-1 should help. Look up on the IRS site,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing